Video Card

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My HTPC has real trouble playing 1080p video, lots of stuttering. I was thinking of ordering a new video card for it. Currently I am using the onboard video on the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard.

I'd like to get a fanless video card if possible. I don't care about games. I think I will stick NVIDIA chipset as their Linux drivers are more solid than ATI's. Any suggestions?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
IIRC, from the video quality articles I've read, you should target a card with a bit more power, like a GeForce GT440 or GT630. The GT520 is under powered for pretty much anything above freecell.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That's exactly the card that's in my main computer right now and I have no complain about it. I've had it for about a year.

Stereodude

Not really a
The 520 has a more advanced hardware decoder, but the 440 has better post processing capabilities. I'm not sure where the 620/630/640 fit. I know they have the VP5 engine that's in the 520, but I don't know if they have the post processing muscle of the 440.

Stereodude

Not really a
I should point out that supposedly the 6x0 series cards have the VP5 (per Wikipedia). However, it seems some of them are rebadged cards from previous generations (the 630 is the 440 and the 610 is the 520). The 620 is a Fermi card also. That likely means only 640 is Kepler based with the VP5 and some post processing muscle.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the info on PureVideo. It looks like the current onboard video supports VP2. I need to enable experimental GPU acceleration to get GPU acceleration in VLC or use a different media player.

Is there anyway to tell how much post-processing power these various cards have?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I should point out that supposedly the 6x0 series cards have the VP5 (per Wikipedia). However, it seems some of them are rebadged cards from previous generations (the 630 is the 440 and the 610 is the 520). The 620 is a Fermi card also. That likely means only 640 is Kepler based with the VP5 and some post processing muscle.

This is beautiful, not confusing at all for consumers. From Wikipedia it looks like the 28nm 630 supports VP5, but the 40nm 630 only supports VP4.

Last edited:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting. My version of VLC (2.04) does not have the word "experimental" next to the GPU Acceleration option. It is also the very first option on the Input & Codecs settings page.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Interesting. My version of VLC (2.04) does not have the word "experimental" next to the GPU Acceleration option. It is also the very first option on the Input & Codecs settings page.

For some reason I am on 1.1.12, which is the latest version that is available in the Linux Mint repo. I'm not on the newest version of Mint though.

Stereodude

Not really a
This is beautiful, not confusing at all for consumers. From Wikipedia it looks like the 28nm 630 supports VP5, but the 40nm 630 only supports VP4.
You also can't overlook that Nvidia gimping all the GT 640 cards with DDR3 instead of GDDR5. The GT 440 was available both ways. I'm pretty sure mine has GDDR5.

Stereodude

Not really a
Err... it looks like I spoke too soon. The GDDR5 GT 640 is the GTX 650, not to be confused with the GTX 650 Ti, which is not a GK107, but a GK106 (GT660 chip). :rofl:

Stereodude

Not really a
You got me, but there don't seem to be many fanless options. There's the Asus GT440 you linked to earlier and two GT640 cards. One from Asus and one from Zotac.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Both of the 640 cards are quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. I really only want to be able to watch 1080p video without stuttering.

Stereodude

Not really a
Give the Asus GT440 a shot then. It shouldn't have any issues with 1080p hardware accelerated playback.

ddrueding

Fixture

Stereodude

Not really a
That depends... Do you want to be able to do all the fancy video post processing (top tier deinterlacing etc)? If so the card lacks the power to process the video after it hardware decodes it. If you're just looking for 1080p (or higher) playback with minimal post processing it should be okay.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, I decided to overpay for a MSI GTX 650 today. My GeForce 8600 GT can't drive my 2560x1440 monitor adequately for video playback. I can't play back ___p60 video smoothly using VMR (not overlay).

The decision to get this card was based on these charts and these charts. I would have bought the non OC edition, but it can't be found anymore. Barely anyone sells the OC one either. I'm hoping that with 4x the pixel pushing and 4x the memory bandwidth + the VP5 engine this card can do the job.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well if anyone cares...

The 650 GTX I ordered works fantastic. _____p60 video scales to the 2560x1440 resolution of the monitor perfectly while maintaining 60FPS with no hiccups or dropped frames. I can also enabled the better deinterlacing in the LAV video decoder and everything stays smooth.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm watching a lot of video on my 2560x1600 monitor these days (driven by a GTX690). What tricks are you doing to get better scaling?

Stereodude

Not really a
Just using the LAV video decoder in MPC-HC which lets you control the Nvidia hardware deinterlacing a bit better.

You can use the MadVR renderer if you want better scaling. It's got a pile of options.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Has anyone ever managed to get Zotac to accept an RMA? I have a GTX970 that needs to go back and I've completed their warranty registration and tried to RMA several times in the last month, but I've not gotten any responses yet. It's an expensive enough card that I don't really feel like eating the cost of replacement.

Stereodude

Not really a
Has anyone ever managed to get Zotac to accept an RMA? I have a GTX970 that needs to go back and I've completed their warranty registration and tried to RMA several times in the last month, but I've not gotten any responses yet. It's an expensive enough card that I don't really feel like eating the cost of replacement.
Stories like this are why I quit buying Zotac hardware (not that I ever bought much of it). They don't even list old products on their website anymore so you can download drivers, manuals, and the like.

You could always bake it Linus style.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
A tool like this is a much better way to reflow the card. I've been happily using one for the last year to both repair boards and build new ones. It looks like he killed the SSD with excessive heat. Then again, there may have been a component failure which caused it to stop working in the first place. Only a small number of electronics failures are due to failed solder joints.