Video Erros on Radeon - help

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey all,
I'm running my nice new Radeon 8500 card in my Tyan Tiger MP, and today noticed that on my second monitor certain things will seem to flash a bit. It's very subtle, and stops when I drag the offending app (IE, Window's Exporer, etc) to my primary monitor.

Let me see if I can explain exactly what it is. For example, right now I'm running Mozilla and I'm downloading the latest Red Hat. Since I clicked on the link and started the download, Windows is drawing a little box around the link in a dashed line. And this dashed line is flickering. And sometimes my cursor in IE will do the same type of flashing. Switching my monitors between the two displays outputs doesn't help - the weird flashing persists on both monitors, so it has something to do with the secondary output.

This secondary output is the DVI output, which is being converted to DB15 by the adapter that was included with the card, and is firmly attached and connected. The flashing stops when I bump my refresh from 70Hz to 60Hz (although it hurts my eyes), and it also stops when I bump the resolution down from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024. Going from 32 bit color to 16 does not help.
Thefore, it seems this video card is producing a weird affect at high res (1600x1200) at a high refresh rate (70Hz).

I've been running my displays in this configuration for a while, so I think this is a fairly recent occurance.

Q: can anybody think of an easy way to fix this? Does this indicate the card is dying or faulty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
More info:
Running WindowsXP, and guess what else I remember doing today - installing the new Radeon drivers. I installed the new drivers, was told to reboot, but I choose not to as I had stuff to do. It was shortly thereafter that I noticed the problem, which has persisted after the reboot. Since it occured before the reboot, could this eliminate the driver as the culprit?
Thanks,
Adcadet

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Given that the problem you're having seems to go away with a change in resolution or refresh rate, perhaps you're stressing the RAMDAC a wee bit too much?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Adcadet-

I think there is a BIOS update for your board to work with ATI cards.

Clocker

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Clocker said:
Adcadet-

I think there is a BIOS update for your board to work with ATI cards.

Clocker

Yup, running 1.04. The older 1.03 bios had some issues with the card, at least at boot up.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Tis strange...or not, considering that it's ATi...
I downgraded to the 6.13.10.6043 drivers, and my problem seems to have gone away...