Voltage regulator or UPS, or both?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You can get a good UPS with a regulated sinewave output if that is what you mean. I've not needed one in the US.
Are you running on feberastors or have really dirty power for some reason?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Guy lives in Oakland. Their power fluctuates pretty badly, late at night, much like Berkeley.

Ours seems to go off same time every two weeks, 7AM for some reason. Wiring in these buildings is from about 1965. Not so good.

I plugged the UPS into the Voltage Regulator.

I think I'll suggest the guy runs a Voltage regulator. Besides literally melting his motherboard, he has also managed to break a UPS. NO led display, no dead battery, just broke it.

LunarMist

Guy lives in Oakland. Their power fluctuates pretty badly, late at night, much like Berkeley.

Ours seems to go off same time every two weeks, 7AM for some reason. Wiring in these buildings is from about 1965. Not so good.

I plugged the UPS into the Voltage Regulator.

I think I'll suggest the guy runs a Voltage regulator. Besides literally melting his motherboard, he has also managed to break a UPS. NO led display, no dead battery, just broke it.

Was it a cheap, crappy UPS? What is the voltage regulator are going on about?
BTW, wiring from 1965 should not necessarily be bad. I've lived in places older than that in SoCal with no such computer problems. Normally a good quality standby UPS is enough.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Our area isn't bad. I've noticed a couple volts on my UPS. Won't hurt for the Beast to have a Voltage Regulator. APC Line R 1200.

The power supply was fine. The guy probably banged it in moving, or threw it because the buttons are hard to figure out, etc.

I've got another like it, been working since 2006 and works fine.

Pretty much a very good, 150 dollar UPS, selling for 120 at Costco.

Tripp Lite:
Something like this, but with an LED display, and a little smaller.

I'm at a loss for how he managed to melt the socket for the cpu. It had a giant Swifttech cooler on it and that alone, without a fan, is PLENTY for that cpu.

Perhaps when the CPU shorted out, and the mem controller went, it created a bunch of heat. The pins in that area had white plastic on them, from the old cpu.

LunarMist

That line interactive type of regulator is mainly for generator power or brownout-prone areas. It does not provide clean power like an online UPS. A good line interactive UPS contains the same functionality as the former. All that being said, it is quite possible that the PS on the mainboard or something else crapped out. If the local power is awful, then you should proceed to buy an online (double conversion) UPS. They usually have fans, so expect some noise.