Wanted: Socket A CPU

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
May I please have a socket A CPU?

I guess I chipped the edge of my Duron trying to remove a stubborn HSF clip and now it seems to be really fickle about working correctly.

I'm weary about buying any CPU off ebay as most of them are probably dead chips from overheating/overclocking and I'd really like to get a CPU from someone here I can trust.

Anybody have a spare chip or looking to upgrade an existing box? I was thinking maybe $10 for an older model(sub 1ghz), maybe $20 for something newer(2gHz > x > 1gHz). If anybody has anything faster, that's fine too.

Thanks,
-blake

honold

Storage is cool
i think i have a 1.4 tbird and an xp1600+ laying around - i'll check

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
cool, thanks Honold.

I'm surprised no one has any sub 1GHz chips laying around that would basically go to waste otherwise.

Just post here if you find em,
-Thanks again

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Seeing as how the XP 1600 is almost doubly fast, I would prefer to wait and see if it becomes available.

I need this CPU for a system for my little sister, her most demanding app is The SIMS.. the rest of her uses are pretty vanilla. So, any Athlon should be good enough, but it's always nice to give some overhead.

If Honold can't find his XP 1600 in the next couple days, would you be willing to send me the Duron for $10 + the $4 fedex?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I have an XP 1700+ that will do 1900+ no problem for $33 shipped.

Clocker

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Groltz said:
L1 bridge unlocked Athlon XP 1900+ = FREE*

*With the purchase of my Epox 8K3A+ w/6 channel onboard audio and 1GB Mushkin High Performance Level 2 DDR for $155/shipped to USA

haha.. sorry, but i'm on a budget.

Honold- the 1.4GHz is probably just too hot for me, I think she'd like something that can run quieter.

Clocker- would you be willing to send me the XP 1700 for $25 shipped? Otherwise i think I'd like to take Steve's 750 if he's willing to sell it for the $14 offered.

honold

Storage is cool
blakerwry said:
Honold- the 1.4GHz is probably just too hot for me, I think she'd like something that can run quieter.
np. i'm blown away at how hot these things run safely, i have a ton of k7s5a/1.4 tbird combos at work that hit 65-70c under load, and they've all been up 24/7 for over a year doing heavy development work.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
honold said:
np. i'm blown away at how hot these things run safely, i have a ton of k7s5a/1.4 tbird combos at work that hit 65-70c under load, and they've all been up 24/7 for over a year doing heavy development work.
I'd have to agree. Hot they are, but they are stable. My T-bird 1.4 ran ~63C Folding 24x7 and never crashed. This despite being on an utterly crappy Asus A7A266 mobo. And a rather cheap Thermaltake Volcano HSF.

- Fushigi