We have been upgraded by comcast to Blast 150mbps I think...

ddrueding

Fixture
Met someone yesterday who is renting a fiber run from a carrier hotel in San Jose and bringing it to an office building 0.7 miles from my house with clear line of sight. I've already committed to 100/100 worth of his Gig. The speed is fine, but the latency of my workstation being 6 hardware devices (purely ethernet) from The Internet is pretty exciting. Computer -> Router -> AirFiber24 -> AirFiber24 -> Cisco Metro -> Fiber. Still hashing out the exact cost, but bundling it with some other work I'm securing for him might bring it below $150/mo.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
attachment.php

That's from an RDP session from a server at the office. We have a 50Mbps symmetrical link for all our five offices (~300 employees). People don't complain. At home, I have a business 12Mbps symmetrical link. 65$/month, unlimited downloads.

We are better here than third world countries (or Australia), but far from the U.S. West Coast, Japan, South Korea or most of Europe.

Regarding the picture, a quick translation:
  • Vitesse: Speed
  • Latence: Latency
  • Vitesse de téléchargement: Download speed
  • Vitesse d'envoi: Upload speed
  • Recommencer: Restart

Attachments

• Speedtest-office.PNG
    Speedtest-office.PNG
    25.4 KB · Views: 58

ddrueding

Fixture
I have the opportunity to hang a small machine directly off a 10Gb link at a carrier hotel. Can't be big, can't be loud, and can't be power hungry. Also can't abuse it too much.

No idea what I would use it for.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Sync some personal stuff to it through Owncloud or btsync maybe? I'm sure whatever NOC it's in would have better power and connectivity failover than anything else you could run across.
Stick a Plex server there and use it to sync your music and photos. The data load would be small enough to be nothing but line noise even if you were serving ~20 clients a day off it.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
DD if you were 10 years older, living in your mother's basement and single I'd suggest another usage for that 10 Gb pipe. And can I have the IP and password. LOL.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you can handle ~70/16Mbit and on a third floor, I probably have as much as you could possibly want of that.