web page login

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Perhaps I'm doing it wrong because after I login to the web page I get sent to the "my account" page to change my account settings and to me that is not the natural place to go upon login. Is it possible to set it so that when one logs into the web site, one goes to the home page or returns to the page one was at before logging-in rather than going to view account. It is unusual that I need to change anything in my account and thus all that happens is that I have to back-trace to where I was before loggin in. The extra steps just waste time.

Handruin

Administrator
P5-133XL said:
Perhaps I'm doing it wrong because after I login to the web page I get sent to the "my account" page to change my account settings and to me that is not the natural place to go upon login. Is it possible to set it so that when one logs into the web site, one goes to the home page or returns to the page one was at before logging-in rather than going to view account. It is unusual that I need to change anything in my account and thus all that happens is that I have to back-trace to where I was before loggin in. The extra steps just waste time.

That is very odd. When I log in I stay on the main forum page, and so have all of my test accounts. (to verify it's not an admin thing)

Have you tried clearing the cache in your browser? Also, are you logging in when you open the forum to www.storageforum.net/phpBB2, or is there other information in the link?

I could also be assuming you are talking about the forum, I know the front page will take you to your profile section, this I believe is customizable by the individual.

Let me know what part of the site is causing you the grief.

-Doug

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
This has been the pattern, since the very start. i.e this is not a recent annoyance. P.S. I am using IE6

The link I start from is http://www.storageforum.net/modules/news/ (it is in my favorites)
I am never logged in from there and that does not bother me unless I wish to comment on a news story. If I wish to comment, then I login using the login window of the page in the upper left. That always takes me to my profile page and that is not where I want to go.

The cache has nothing to do with this: I cleared it and it did not change anything.

When I go to the forums I am always logged in by default. This is only a SF home page annoyance.

Handruin

Administrator
P5-133XL said:
This has been the pattern, since the very start. i.e this is not a recent annoyance. P.S. I am using IE6

The link I start from is http://www.storageforum.net/modules/news/ (it is in my favorites)
I am never logged in from there and that does not bother me unless I wish to comment on a news story. If I wish to comment, then I login using the login window of the page in the upper left. That always takes me to my profile page and that is not where I want to go.

The cache has nothing to do with this: I cleared it and it did not change anything.

When I go to the forums I am always logged in by default. This is only a SF home page annoyance.

I'm really puzzled. I tried a few things with my monkey-c account and I don't experience any of what you describe. Do you use the log-off at the top when you are finished? If you log off the automatic login should go away. I'm also using IE 6 and even with new accounts I am not taken to the user panel when I log in. Could it be something residual left in the history folder perhaps?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's the same for me, using any browser. When I log into the front page, it takes me to the silly user prefferences page or some such. (As if I want to change my prefferences every time I visit.) I just figure it's a bit of phpNuke weirdness and hit BACK a few times. It's always done it.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I think you understand now.

Nothing is wrong with the forum start page. This is related to the front page. This page has text at the top: "Welcome to The StorageForum.net!
This is your personal page"

I never really noticed the problem until Mark brought it up.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
At least I'm not the only one!!!

This has to do with the front page news not the forums!

I tried it with 3 other computers and all have the same identical behavior; it is not computer specific.

Handruin

Administrator
P5-133XL said:
At least I'm not the only one!!!

This has to do with the front page news not the forums!

I tried it with 3 other computers and all have the same identical behavior; it is not computer specific.

Yes, ok, sorry for the confusion. This does in fact happen with the front page news, I mention it in my first reply. :) The part I was incorrect on is that it is customizable. I believe this is a limitation of xoops. At this point there isn't much I can do about where it sends you during login. I am working on a customized portal for us, I'm going to be developing out own solution that doesn't require two separate logins. It will take me some time, but I think the end result will be easier for users.