Website Testing

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
What does everyone use to test websites they develop?

At work I use:
  • Firefox
  • IE6
  • IE7 (only for finished products, as I have to use a coworker's machine to test this)
  • Opera
  • Safari

At home I use:
  • Firefox
  • IE6
  • Opera

Generally I have found that if it works in Firefox, it will work in everything other than IE6 (possibly IE7). Once in a while Safari will display something that the other browsers don't. Mainly this is evident when testing very poorly coded sites. With things like unclosed tags, broken CSS, etc.

Does anyone bother testing in IE5 Mac anymore? How about IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows? Konqueror?

I should probably install VMWare at home so I can test in IE7, as it is a royal pain to run those side-by-side on the same system.

If I didn't have a Mac at work to test with Safari, I would be screwed. I refuse to buy a mac just so I can test a few websites with Safari.

There is a KHTML/WebKit based browser in early alpha stages for Windows. It is still extremely buggy though and basically useless for testing. I might consider installing linux in VMWare so I can test in Konqueror. Does anyone know how close Konqueror and Safari are in terms of rendering quirks?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'm lucky in that most of the sites I work on are restricted to IE only and aren't public facing. So they don't have to be beautiful. And they don't have to work in FF. But in my workflow I generate html versions of the pages and test those in firefox to make sure the javascript is cross browser.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
That is similar to my company's internal websites. They only work in IE. I am just wondering what will happen when the entire office upgrades to IE7. I doubt any of them have even been tested in IE7.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I downloaded an openSuse VMWare image so I could test a site I am currently developing in Konquerer. Very easy to do. I used this image, if anyone is interested.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I understand that Konq is more or less the same thing as Safari, which might make your life slightly easier.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I understand that Konq is more or less the same thing as Safari, which might make your life slightly easier.

That's what I thought. I found a couple websites that list differences, but none of them are that recent. I believe that most things that don't work in Safari also won't work in Konqueror, there are still some differences, especially since the two browsers are on different development cycles.

This looks like an interesting way to install OSX on a PC, though not really legitimate. I think I will give it a try.

Mercutio

I um, have the Jas 10.4 ISO file around here somewhere if anyone wants to take the time to play with it.

I installed it on a PC but then I sold it so it got a proper WinXP install before I really got to play with it.

Mercutio

Jas is the x86 version.

I loaded it on a nice C2D machine a few weeks ago, just because I could. I like it better than Vista but it's sluggish compared to my standard Linux desktop or to Server 2003. In the end I put SuSE back on.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
How new of a processor do I need to run this?

I tried it on an Athlon64 3000+ and received this error. The system was also at 100% CPU utilization constantly, even when it was just displaying the attached.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think the image I grabbed might have been broken. I am downloading a new one now to test it out.