Weird slowdown

Handruin

Administrator
I just noticed this also. Someone may have created a new account on this server causing apache to be restarted.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Ya, it was slow as all hell last night between 3 and 6am. I just opened up lots of threads all at once to cut down on load time.

Handruin

Administrator
There is some sort of slow-down issue going on right now. I've logged a support ticket. I'll let you know when it has been fixed.

Handruin

Administrator
The info I've recieved is that the backup process was delayed from last night. If the server becomes too busy, it delays in order to free up CPU time.

Handruin

Administrator
They did a reboot on this server, and it seems much more responsive this morning.

Handruin

Administrator
Anyone know where to get a good deal on colocation services? I'd build use the server if the monthly cost wasn't terrible.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Was it just me, or did our site have some problems within the past 20 minutes? (9:30-9:50 Pacific Time) I couldn't connect to our site, but other sites worked fine.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I had some issues connecting to Storage Forum.

Here is the update:
Swordfish - 24 Oct 2003 15:34 - HTTP issue
The webserver main config file was erased by a CPanel process. The file had to be restored by using a backup from earlier today, so if you made any changes to your account after 07:23 this morning server time then please check if those changes disappeared due to the restore of the config file backup.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for posting that Buck. There is also a note indicating high loads on our server today.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Site seems to be working fine except when posting.....the last couple of days it seems to be taking an aweful long time to post. Anyone else notice a slowdown?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yeah I noticed a slowdown yesterday when trying to reply to a couple of threads. It seems fine today.

Handruin

Administrator
Those slowdowns in the evening are when they decide to backup the server. Usually occurs around 12:00 AM -5 GMT and lasts until 1:00 AM or a little later. I've complained several times, but they tell me the process is set to a low priority. Doesn't seem to matter because the site slows down. I may have been running my own backup at the same time...that'll definitely slow down the posting.

On the 28th there were some IMAP related issues, but that was before you mentioned this CityK. Are you still noticing a slow down other than at the time I listed above?

Handruin

Administrator
Assuming your time is -5GMT, your slow down falls into the time I listed above...Between 12:00AM and 1:00AM (sometimes later) -5GMT, the backup is usually running. I have no say in this schedule, sorry about that.

Code:
  6:06am  up 20 days, 11:04,  1 user,  load average: 2.40, 2.67, 2.59
2 processes: 1 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU0 states: 17.0% user,  5.3% system, 10.4% nice, 76.3% idle
CPU1 states: 19.4% user,  6.2% system, 11.2% nice, 74.2% idle
Mem:  1033804K av,  945132K used,   88672K free,       0K shrd,  108392K buff
Swap:  522072K av,  261212K used,  260860K free                  385760K cached

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I think it is only at night, but I haven't really paid that close attention....it just kind of struck me that I had noticed that posting had been sloth like a couple of times during the last few days, and so I thought I would mention it.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Been very slothful for the last half-hour or so. Seems to be functioning more-or-less normally again now - well, almost, still a bit slow, but it was extra slow for quite a while there.

Handruin

Administrator
It could be from the system-wide backup. (not mine) I looked at the server stats and nothing unusual was reported. Our server has been up for 16 days. ALthough I said the backup lasts from 12:00 to 1:00 -5GMT, it has gone longer at times... If you continue to notice these issues, please let me know and I will open a ticket.

In the past few weeks I've noticed a better consistency of performance from this server. I say this only because I haven't noticed any considerable performance problems or down-time.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Thanks Doug. It sped right up again shortly after I posted that and has been zipping along beautifully since then. The site remained usable even at the worst, just tediously slow. I wasn't worried about it but I thought, well, if by any chance it becomes a habit, it's good to document this stuff. Give them something to search for, or at least you something to complain about!

Anyway: no big deal, just a note for future reference, should it be needed.

Handruin

Administrator
I appreciate the feedback. It could have been something else, so I'm happy to keep a log of when these things occur for future reference.

Handruin

Administrator
sucky server. :rant:

sorry guys...looks like it went down, but no notice was posted. There have been a few run-away scripts recently...these things come in waves. Must be new clients on the host that like to play...the joys of shared hosting.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I would love a T1 connection. I'm apparently in an eligible area. All I need is an extra $850 every month. :p

P.S. That's the funniest smiley I've seen to date.

Handruin

Administrator
If it was feasible to get a T1, I'd host SF myself...but, as you've pointed out...it cost too darn much. :eek:wneddnce:

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Posting between 12-1AM (-5GMT). Yep, its slow. On the flipside, at least we know the backups are getting done. :D

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Handruin said:
If it was feasible to get a T1, I'd host SF myself...but, as you've pointed out...it cost too darn much. :eek:wneddnce:

How much does it cost in your area? I looked here a few months ago and I believe it was about $850 a month.