Weird slowdown

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tea and I are surfing after a hard day's work - of which more in another thread. Among other places, we are (of course) visiting StorageForum. Everything is pretty normal for me. SF and various other sites load exactly as expected. SP is maybe a little sluggish tonight, but OK. Nothing unusual.

Tea is having trouble. Trying to get onto Storage Forum for her - she uses Internet Explorer because I have first dibs on Opera and I don't want her messing up my settingsand saved passwords and stuff - is almost impossible. She has been trying and trying, and can barely get around the site at all. Either no response, or very, very slow response.

Meanwhile, I can skip here and there no problem. We also tried Opera and Sea Monkey and Firefox at other sites and those work fine. So, sensibly enough, Tea has fired up Firefox instead of IE. Gone to Storage Forum .... and Firefox is having the same trouble!

Meanwhile, I am still having no trouble at all with Opera.

Weird ....

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I had something like that happen yesterday evening. I had Firefox up with a half dozen tabs or so and at some point browsing became slower than dialup. I checked Task Mangler and saw FF using 17-19% CPU (almost an entire core) even when I wasn't actually doing anything like loading new pages.

It was odd since I wasn't going to anyplace unusual and the tabs I had open were for sites that I have open almost all the time - iGoogle, SF, edmunds.com, etc.

Closing & re-opening FF resolved it but I have no idea what triggered it in the first place. Maybe there was some bad code or something that was looping/sucking CPU.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You mean like having ... oh, I don't know ... a couple of hundred tabs going for two or three days without restarting the browsers or rebooting, and also running a couple of dozen instances of a picture viewer, Photoslug, text editor, Thunderbird, and a few assorted random things? Who would do a silly thing like that? (Well, apart from me, I mean.)

The weird thing, though, is that, at a rough guess, those windows & tabs would have been maybe 70% Opera, 25% Sea Monkey, and 5% Firefox (no IE till Tea came here). On the whole, I think it might have just been the SF server groaning under some vast load courtesy of another user on the shared host, and just happening by chance to hand my system some data whenever I was using Opera maybe 6 or 8 times in a row,
It's more-or-less recovered now. Rather slow, but staggering along OK.

What happpens if we try IE again now?

Hmmm ... seems OK.

Write it off as a mystery, I guess.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Right now, 2:35PM Eastern time, the site is slower than dialup.

Bozo :joker:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
site is running at snails pace for me right now on dialup (much slower than usual). Can see individual gifs loading to the right an bottom of this reply window. couldn't even get 'the end of the world thread' to finish loading to post a reply...never got to the reply window?

Maybe I need to restart me computer :p

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Must have been RAM allocation/bloating using my browser. Going much faster since restart (was down to ~180MB of free RAM <20%) on my laptop.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It has been horrible recently. Bloody ate my posts.