Welcome everyone!

Handruin

Administrator
If you are reading this, then I've done something correctly! This is all new to me, as I've never created a forum. As you can see the forum is a free utility called phpBB. She might not be pretty, but I hope it gets the job done.

I'm trying my best to help out the SR legacy by creating a free forum on my site. I am open for any and all suggestions from everyone. If there is something on my sight that I can do to make things better, let me know.

This is my first post, and hopefully not my last. If anyone has trouble, send me an e-mail at webmaster@handruin.com and i will try to work out the problem.

If anyone sees any major flaw in my setup, please contact me by e-mail. I hope that this community will not exploit any bugs/holes I may have missed in setting up this forum. I’m new at this, and may very well show. Please help me, and all the dedicated Post Storage Review followers to support this community. Join everyone and me in open discussion! Welcome to our forum!

Sincerely,

Doug

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks Doug! Nice job. It will be easier to follow the action here as the emails are getting a bit crazy.
Bill

Attachments

• A-Ram Turbo3 16GB.png
    A-Ram Turbo3 16GB.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A-Ram Turbo3 16GB Copy.png
    A-Ram Turbo3 16GB Copy.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 8
  • A-Ram Turbo3 16GB Crystal.png
    A-Ram Turbo3 16GB Crystal.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 7

Handruin

Administrator
I'll change it to something a little easier on the eyes!!! Glad to see it working. How's the speed, is it ok?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Speed is great. :smile:

The color is much better as well - Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flagreen on 2002-01-14 23:43 ]</font>

Handruin

Administrator
I'm working on the look. The admin console isn't the greatest, but it works! I'm so psyched this thing actually works, I've never done this before. :smile:

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Us old farts appreciate the large font by the way. :smile:

Handruin

Administrator
It is rather large I admit. I think I can make it a little bit smaller if everyone wants?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
It's fine with me the way it is. But I'm undoubtedly the oldest here. I'll go with whatever everyone else wants.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I think you need a "Post a new topic" link on the individual forum directories? Seems like you have to reply to a topic to post a new one now?

Nevermind!!! I just saw it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flagreen on 2002-01-15 00:48 ]</font>

Handruin

Administrator
I just created some new buttons, are they easier to see? I had a hard time finding them the first time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Handruin on 2002-01-15 01:37 ]</font>

Handruin

Administrator
I works good from my apartment. The server is in PA, hosted by http://www.burst.net.

att2.jpg

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Doug, you little beauty!

While others yak, you jump in and actually do something.

Applause!

Comments:

1: I like the color scheme. White text on a dark background is so much easier on the eyes. Less glare. Looks nice too.

2: We should all remember to respect any confidential information we are privy to and not post it here, at least not just yet.

3: You just passed the browser test from hell. I'm posting this using my beloved old Netscape/2 2.02 for OS/2, and it works fine using Netscape/2 4.61 also.

(Senseless edit, just because I can.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tannin on 2002-01-15 02:35 ]</font>

Handruin

Administrator
On 2002-01-15 02:34, Tannin wrote:
Doug, you little beauty!

While others yak, you jump in and actually do something.

Applause!

Comments:

1: I like the color scheme. White text on a dark background is so much easier on the eyes. Less glare. Looks nice too.

2: We should all remember to respect any confidential information we are privy to and not post it here, at least not just yet.

3: You just passed the browser test from hell. I'm posting this using my beloved old Netscape/2 2.02 for OS/2, and it works fine using Netscape/2 4.61 also.

(Senseless edit, just because I can.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tannin on 2002-01-15 02:35 ]</font>

Thank you for the comments, this is a work in progress. First thing I may ask for help with, is how the heck do I back up a MySQL database??? I'm not making fun of anyone, I really don't know. My hosting provider does weekly backup's but I need to be more pro-active on that, like daily backups.

There are some limiting factors of this forum, such as no preview like SR's, but this is a start. I haven't found how to turn off editing...maybe it's not such a bad idea, but I like how people are stuck with their posts.

Regarding privacy, I can setup private forums and verify each user I believe. I'll look into this more tomorrow as sleep is calling me!

-Doug

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
In a word, no. Software ain't my area. But, naturally, I have some ideas in that direction. (Never let a lack of knowledge stop you opening my mouth, that's my motto.)

It won't take too long for the message database to grow quite large, large enough that backing up the entire thing in one go is not practicable via the web. (i.e., you need a direct network connection to it and a tape drive or CDR or whatever.)

On the other hand, an incremental backup scheme would work well, if it could be arranged. Consider the SR message database, pre MBF. While the MySQL files were large (not sure exactly, several GB I guess), the actual additions over the course of any particular day were quite modest. Plucking a number out of the air, which should at least have the right order of magnitude, several MB at most (without compression). This is a quantity of data that can be managed even over a 56k modem link.

Can any of the software-savvy people here tell me if it is practicable to isolate the changed threads only, say once a day, and then send them (and them only) to the backup device.

I'm just spinning an example here, so don't take the details as concrete, but the sort of thing I have in mind is that Doug's server provide either a list of thread URLs, or a zipped compendium of the new and changed threads - it need only be the text content, no need for formatting code - which someone (say me) could FTP out to another location and, from time to time, burn to CD. Or (better yet) the server could simply email the day's changed threads.

If the software wizzards can think of a way to do that, then I would be happy to provide a machine and CD burner. There are people here at Red Hill five days a week, so slipping a blank CD into an extra machine now and then would be no trouble at all.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OK, works fine with my home system browsers too. Just tried IE 5.0 and Navigator 4.08 on Win 2K, posting this from Opera 6.0.

Back on the fonts question, from a Windows user's perspective, I think it's just a fraction too large still. I haven't examined the code (because I'm lazy), but is there a size in-between the quoted text font and the main font? That would be about right, I think. (My OS/2 browsers look good with it as is, but a smidge smaller would be OK too.)

Handruin

Administrator
I've tried to adjust the font sizes using the admin controls, but it doesn't make a bit of difference. I'm still looking into it however.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Re: MySQL backup...

Do a mysqldump. I don't remember the exact syntax. It's something like "mysqldump databasename username >> backupfilename" I think.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Adcadet said:
what exactly are the differences between a DS-x and an OC-x What do the numbers indicate?
I don't know for DS-3, but OC-base is ~52MBps. OC-3 is therefore 3x OC-base, so ~156MBps. OC-48 is ~2.5GBps and OC-192 is ~10GBps.

The map Doug posted must be at least 2 years old I guess. OC-192 exist for at least three years, so I figure it should be more common than what's shown on the map.

Or if the map is relatively recent, then it just means that AT&T's network isn't very powerful. I'm almost sure the actual internet traffic alone needs more bandwidth than what's shown on this map.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
Thank you for the comments, this is a work in progress. First thing I may ask for help with, is how the heck do I back up a MySQL database??? I'm not making fun of anyone, I really don't know. My hosting provider does weekly backup's but I need to be more pro-active on that, like daily backups.

According to a friend of mine the command is:

mysqldump -uuser -ppass --opt <database name> > sqldump.txt

And he says not to forget the > before sqldump.

I could invite hime to join up here, he knows a lot about mysql and php etc, but I wasn't sure whether that would be ok or not? Suggestions?

P.S. Fantastic job Handruin! Looking just like home :)

Stereodude

Not really a
Pradeep said:
P.S. Fantastic job Handruin! Looking just like home :)
There is a reason for this :D SR is running the default theme also (with only a few tweaks)

Anyhow... Hopefully this forum will be a blast too :)

Stereodude

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Thanks for coming, SD.

To any new member who happen to show up in the next few days, there are some kinks that have yet to be worked out - think of this as a "live beta test", and there certainly won't be the crush of traffic that SR has right away. Hopefully, everything will work out, one way or the other, and the SR community can continue.