What modem to get?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Obviously, these things are becoming less useful as high speed gains popularity, but they are still useful for faxing. My Sony VAIO notebook is giving me fits when I ask it to do anything communications related (i.e., comunicate to other computers via modem and LAN). It has, until recently, been my fax machine (in conjunction with an Epson scanner on my desktop). I figure I should just get a fax/modem on my desktop and be done with it.

What modem would you all recommend? Preferably something that is internal, yet not a Winmodem and is multi-OS friendly. I guess external modems like a USR Courier are usually a much safer bet, but I don't want to spend that much for occasional faxing capabilities.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
When I moved it turned out I couldn't get high speed access so I had to buy a modem. I settled on a Zoom V.92 internal for something like US$30 from Best Buy and it's performed just fine so far.

USRs are good, but I don't think they can justify the insane price premium. $90 for an internal V.90 vs. the Zoom V.92 for $30.

V.92, BTW, can reduce the modem training time (the time to negotiate connection speed) dramatically if both the modem & the ISP support it.

If you want a model # let me know & I'll look it up when I get home.

- Fushigi

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I like Supra SupraMax 56k winmodems. They're Conexant (Rockwell)-based, but I haven't had problems with 'em. The other two big winmodem chip-makers (lucent and HSP) both make custom-driver-of-the-week crap that I don't like dealing with. I have a whole pile of Lucent Winmodems I can't use because I can't figure out which version of the driver to use.

USR hasn't made a decent internal modem in a long, long time.

Zoom is good, too.

For actual generics, I like Phoebe (still selling a modem with jumpers!) and Zoltrix.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Mercutio, do you not use Linux or other non-MS OSes? If so, how do you get your Winmodems to work?

Locally, I can only find Acer, Creative, and USR modems. Only the USR seems to be hardware based, and not software or Winmodem based. There is a Pine FM-3621 ESS 2819/2898 chipset hardware modem, but I am not sure about Pine.

Mercutio

If I'm using a non-Windows OS, I buy a USR Courier. Nothing else will do. But for everyone else, the Winmodem is the only justifiable choice.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I have had very good results using a USR 5610B v92 internal PCI. It gives consistent connections and the "Internet Call Notification" feature has come in handy more than a few times. Of all the modems I have owned, including Zoom & Diamond v90 models, this one delivers the highest throughput.

Unlike winmodems that lack an onboard controller, this model has one and does not put any draw on the CPU to accomplish its work.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Groltz said:
I have had very good results using a USR 5610B v92 internal PCI. It gives consistent connections and the "Internet Call Notification" feature has come in handy more than a few times. Of all the modems I have owned, including Zoom & Diamond v90 models, this one delivers the highest throughput.
Oh yeah, Internet Call Notification is another V.92 benefit.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
USR prices are entirely justified. It's just that your application (internet and fax) does not require all their features.

If you wanted to set up some kind of remote access server, however, it is difficult to find any current external modem that performs satisfactorily. Except USR.

Mind you, I am speaking from experience in the Australasian region.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I have always found that the Rockwell/Connexant external chipset modems work just fine. I have seen individual models that didn't work properly, but very, very few of them. In general, I use and recommend X-Streama - these are the Australian re-badging of the modems made by Well Modem in Tiawan. www.wellmodem.com.tw They ain't as good as they used to be (the buggers keep changing models now) but they are still good.

But for faxing, E_dawg, just about anything will do: any 2400, 9600, 14.4 28.0, 33.6 or 56k fax modem will do the exact same job. Just find an old, lying-around one.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
True, I don't need the latest and greatest for my uses, but I need something that (a) just plain works and doesn't bugger up other parts of my computer; and (b) is well supported with solid, stable drivers both currently and will be for the next 3 years. My experience with the Conexant SoftModem on my Sony notebook has been poor, and I would be remiss if I compromised the wonderful stability of my desktop just to save a few bucks.

If you can point me to something that satisfies criteria a and b and also absolves me from overpaying for my minimal needds, I will be grateful. While multi-OS compatibility is preferred, I figure such a modem does not exist -- at least not for under $30.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Just get yourself an old Rockwell chipset external, E_dawg. Any brand will do. Something that uses the standard command set and will install as that famous (and perfectly practical) device which Windows calls "Standard 28.8 modem". (Or whicever speed it happens to be.) If you are only faxing, the speed is immaterial. Should cost you $10 US max if you ask at a computer store or get a friend to dig one out of a closet for you.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Tea said:
But for faxing, E_dawg, just about anything will do: any 2400, 9600, 14.4 28.0, 33.6 or 56k fax modem will do the exact same job. Just find an old, lying-around one.

I have my doubts that a 2600 modem will fax at G3 fax speeds (33.6).

e_dawg

Storage Freak
From the PDF and website, I gather that your Zoom v.92 is not a hardware modem, but a controllerless Winmodem. Note that (a) Zoom says it plugs into the PCI slot of any Windows-based computer, and (b) it only mentions the onboard DSP but not the onboard controller (whereas the dualmode model mentions both). The presence of an onboard DSP just means that it is not a full "softmodem" (i.e., controllerless and DSP-less), just "controllerless". The DSP relieves the host CPU of the actual modulating/demodulating tasks, but still relies on software protocol control.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Thanks for the clarification, e_dawg. I must admit to not following modem technology for several years. When I found out that I had to go with dial-up, I avoided the too-expensive USRs and went with the Zoom as it's a brand I used ages ago and had no memories of any problems.

The modem does work fine under Win2K Pro. Effortless install & I've not noticed any performance degradation when online.

- Fushigi

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
What is "G3 fax", Cliptin? For years and years, fax has run at 14.4 come rain, hail or shine. All fax machines run at 14.4, and all fax modems can do 14.4 for faxing. Always have.

Did somebody change the rules?

Mercutio

Not true, Tea, not true at all.
Fax technology has been with us since the mid 19th century. It was formally standardized in the 1980s at 2400bps, and indeed, a great many fax machines only talk that speed. Later a specification for 9600bps was added, then finally 14.4. I believe these speeds correspond to Group1/2/3 faxing.
Anyway, I run into tons of slow fax machines when I'm sending out resumes, so they ARE out there.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
It was formally standardized in the 1980s at 2400bps, and indeed, a great many fax machines only talk that speed. Later a specification for 9600bps was added, then finally 14.4. I believe these speeds correspond to Group1/2/3 faxing.
Quite true. Think of all the old modems: 9600/2400. Then the 28.8/9600s (or was it 14.4/9600 .. I seem to remember a 14.4/4800 from USR). Most 33kbps+ modems are 14.4 fax.

BTW, the fax was invented in 1913: http://www.aronsson.se/hist.html

- Fushigi

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tea is right. 2400 modems used to have 14.4 fax capabilities. I remember them well, because I used to get riled up over the packaging. It used to look like this:

BRAND X FAX MODEM

14.4 Speed!
(fax)

(2400 modem)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin and Tea are both right. :)

Although I remember 2400/9600 as more common than 2400/14400. I guess I didn't take much notice. People used to prize the old 2400bps modems for fax use, because many performed better than later chipsets. Or so I recall.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Cliptin said:
Apparently they now have "super G3" good for 33.6 speeds.
Surely a candidate for "Most Useless Technical Innovation"? It would take 10-15 years for this to become the standard, and I suspect fax will go the way of telex by then.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
A lot of companies have their own high speed standard. My Toshiba goes into "High Speed" mode when it finds a fellow Toshiba on the other end. And uses G3 for others.