What to do with a problem like VGA?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I recently changed my desktop monitor and the new one doesn't have a VGA input. While I might generally celebrate this as a good thing, my headless NAS only has a VGA out on it's built-in video. I rarely need to hook it up to a monitor, but when I do, it's a big deal.

What's the best solution for working around this?

The new monitor has DVI and HDMI inputs available (suing DisplayPort for the computer). The server has free PCIe slots (a x1 and a x16). Also, 15-20 feet away is a TV with a VGA input which would be acceptable to use.

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
Have you tried plugging a normal DVI to VGA adaptor dongle into the monitor? I have a few high-end Dell monitors that come with two DVI ports and no VGA port, I found at least one of the DVI ports worked with a VGA signal through a normal adaptor.

Cheers,
mangyDOG

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There is such a thing as DVI-A, which would allow direct connection to VGA, but I wouldn't expect a new monitor to support that. You can buy a $60 converter box but at that point, you might as well just go get a different monitor.

Honestly, I'd probably move monitors around until I got one with a VGA input. You could go get a KVM with a DVI port or add in a video card, but that seems like more of an expense than grabbing a 14" LCD from your local recycler or thrift store.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
VGA to DVI or HDMI converter?

It's going the wrong way for a straight conversion. You actually have to have some ICs someplace to turn the analog signal into a digital one. The boxes for doing that usually cost $60 - $100 unless sechs is extremely lucky and got a display that supports DVI-A... which is a connector I haven't seen on anything in about 10 years.

Stereodude

Not really a
Some DVI-I connectors accept analog. I understand VGA to DVI/HDMI isn't cheap. A cheap graphics card with DVI out will be less expensive.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Is the ~$15 adapter a better choice than a similarly priced add-in video card that I may be able to pick up used?

Stereodude

Not really a
Maybe if you don't have a lot of concerns about the image quality and want to keep your x16 PCIe slot free for something else. If you want a pixel perfect sharp image when you use that machine go with the video card with DVI output.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You may also look into a usb-vga video card. About the same price but more flexible fur the future.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You may also look into a usb-vga video card. About the same price but more flexible fur the future.

Last time I've used one of those was 3 years ago and the display's response time was as slow as molasse in the heart of a Siberian winter.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Last time I've used one of those was 3 years ago and the display's response time was as slow as molasse in the heart of a Siberian winter.

My third monitor is supplied by one (DiamondMM) connected via USB 2. I can not tell the difference between it and dvi or display port. Though the aged monitors are not pushing the cards. I can get model number on Monday if`requested.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think that helps him if he needs to get into the BIOS or see anything before the OS is loaded.
That's probably 75% of the reasons I need video on it at all.

It's running FreeNAS, which has a completely character-based console. Once the OS is up, I can do everything remotely.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've tried two different models of VGA to HDMI converters and neither of them works. Neither gives a signal to the monitor.

The probably of two baddies seems relatively low. I've checked my cables.

Is there something that I'm missing here? A special feature necessary to do character mode?

Stereodude

Not really a
I've tried two different models of VGA to HDMI converters and neither of them works. Neither gives a signal to the monitor.

The probably of two baddies seems relatively low. I've checked my cables.

Is there something that I'm missing here? A special feature necessary to do character mode?
It could be that between the three pieces can't all agree on a common mode that they all support. It's hard to saw exactly. It would take a fair amount of debugging to know for sure. Have you tried entering the BIOS to give everything time to sync? Which VGA to HDMI converter did you get? Does it work at all even in Windows when you can control the output resolution?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They were both cheap no-names off Amazon.

The box is running BSD and never enters a graphical mode. If it doesn't work in the BIOS and console, then it's useless.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
For grins and giggles, I picked up $30 VGA-to-HDMI converter. And it works -- almost.

It works perfectly during POST and in the BIOS, but as soon as hand-off to the OS occurs, the signal drops. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD does not support graphical character modes out of the box, and FreeNAS only supports a limited set of of graphical and text modes at the console. I've tried a couple options, but I get nothing.

I surprisingly can't find any information on what character mode BIOSes use or figure out why this works with the converter. Any thoughts or information before I break down and slot in a video card?

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Don't most BIOSes use your standard 80x25 character cell sort of thing? Or is that just older ones? I wouldn't know, haven't had one of those special UEFI boards that did anything differently.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's my understanding that's what BSD is using, so I'm at a loss as to why it isn't working. I've even tried setting it manually in the OS.