Where Are The Serial ATA Opticals?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Where are the serial ATA opticals?

On a whim, I looked for them and got two; both generation-old DVD burners.

Shouldn't they be here in some numbers by now? Surely there's money to be made by slapping on a bridge chip and charging more.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
That is the thing, I think margins are so slim in optical devices right now that there is no play room for adding a sata bridge. Not sure when that will end but aren't there aftermarket bridges available?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
My initial thought was a simple "who cares?"

But then, a moment later, I thought that in fact secondary drives are the best application for SATA at present (because then there is rarely any sort of installation-related driver problem) so an optical drive, which is always a secondary unit and never the normal boot drive, would be the most logical and practical unit to convert to SATA first.

So yes, good question Sechs: where are the SATA opticals?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I care. We won't be ale to get rid of the clumsy PATA cables until SATA optical drives arrive. The sooner, the better. IMO, they should have been here for at least a year.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I've been completely happy with my SATA DVD-RW. Too bad others have too much superstitious dread of the brand and model.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Would like to ditch legacy PATA too. I think the optical drives are just waiting on the native SATA chips to be dirt cheap, I agree the margins on these things are just scary thin and they just don't want to upset that.

Handruin

Administrator
Groltz said:
I've been completely happy with my SATA DVD-RW. Too bad others have too much superstitious dread of the brand and model.

I have no problem with the brand...I just think the price is way too high at $119.99 for what I could get with just about any other modern PATA DVD-DL drive.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's $20 for a parallel to serial adapter card. Surely someone can slap a SATA interface on a drive for less than that.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You'd think so, Sechs. People buy SATA hard drives after all, and they cost more. So what's holding the manufacturers up?

OK, the way I see it, there is no particular point in SATA for opticals, and I don't think more than ... oh ... about 5% of customers, maybe 10% would be willing to pay the $extra. Let's say it's 5%. What's the overall world market share in optical drives of an average middle-sized manufacturer? Five percent sound reasonable for an LG or a BTC or a Sony or a Pioneer? If those two figures are correct (the 5% and the 5%) then, while the situation lasts, a medium-sized optical drive manufacturer could double its market share! That's a huge incentive.

So why hasn't anyone done it? Seems weird. I can't imagine that it's a technical issue. After all, if you can make a SATA hard drive, how hard can it be to make a DVD?

Nope: I think the answer must be OEM sales - or, mopre to the point, lack of OEM sales. The component manufacturers, generally speaking, are very, very slow to listen to their retail end-user customers. They probably do do their market research, but do this by talking to their 20 largest customers - who, of course, are all OEMs. They wind up with a very slanted view of the market as a whole, because those 20 customers might represent more than half of their market, but are highly unrepresentative of a nevertheless significant minority sector.

The more I think about it, the more sense this makes to me. RAM manufacturers made the same mistake, remember, back when they chopped off production of SDRAM while it was still selling like crazy on the upgrade aftermarket.

Sometimes I wonder about this industry. So many players are so incredibly clever - they have to be in order to survive and malke the products they do - and yet at the same time they often ain't too bright.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been happy with the Plextor SATA DVD burners that I have installed over the last few months.

I think the motherboard manufacturers are going to force the issue. All the boards I've purchased in the last six months only have one PATA port on them, but have four SATA ports. When the PATA port disappears, virtually everything wil go SATA.

Bozo :mrgrn:

ddrueding

Fixture
I see your point Bozo, but I don't think mobo manufacturers will ditch the PATA port before the opticals change their ways.

Just a warning for anyone interested; I've tried a number of the aftermarket PATA drive-to-SATA port adapters on optical drives (including many that claimed they would work) and NONE of them allowd me to install XP off of them or Burn a DVD from within XP. Clearly not completely compliant with ATAPI specs...

Stereodude

Not really a
sechs said:
Where are the serial ATA opticals?

On a whim, I looked for them and got two; both generation-old DVD burners.

Shouldn't they be here in some numbers by now? Surely there's money to be made by slapping on a bridge chip and charging more.
They are out there, but no one is buying them because virtually no one is going to pay 2-3x as much for a SATA optical drive.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Folks still buy SCSI opticals.

I just don't have a lot of hope pinned on an SAS DVD-ROM....

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
sechs said:
I just don't have a lot of hope pinned on an SAS DVD-ROM....

Given that SAS can interface with SATA, the likelihood of SAS DVD or CD optical drives is zero percent. There is a rather strongly outside chance that SAS magneto-optical (M-O) drives could show up one day with native SAS interfaces and a slightly better chance that holographic optical disc drives could show up with native SAS interfaces, but in both cases even these high-end optical drives will settle on SATA. M-O drives are currently SCSI-only (wide, parallel).

The upcoming BluRay (and presumably the competing HD-DVD) disc drives will allegedly be SATA only.

A while back, I read a report that LiteON was going to release a CD-R/W with a native SATA interface. About a year later, it still hasn't shown up.