Which Net browser do you use?

Which Net browser do you use?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Internet Explorer add-on browser (NetCaptor, Crazybrowser, etc)

• Mozilla

• Netscape 4.x

• Netscape 6.x or later (based on Mozilla)

• Phoenix

• Galeon, Chimera, other Gecko-based browser

• Opera

• Konqueror

• Lynx (????)

• Other, since I probably forget some

• Total voters

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think such a poll has been done before, but with the recent milestone releases of a few popular browsers, I thought some of you might have switched allegiance for their main tool to visit the Web.

Please only one answer per physical being, even if those with split personalities use different browsers. Otherwise, we won't have the true picture of our forum membership.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I had to vote IE, but let it be said that I use Mozilla on my Linux boxes, and like it quite well. I also downloaded Opera the other night and like it fairly well, too. I've been testing Mozilla on my Windows XP box, and I rather like it--so much so that I am thinking of converting...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I hated to vote IE... but I think I do spend most of my time using IE because it's most convenient right now.

Becaues of my class structure this semester I am using library computers instead of EECS computers... this means IE and not mozilla, additionally my linux box is in command line only mode... so no mozilla there... my only chance to get my Moz fix would be on my main XP box... but IE runs pretty well on that box and decently fast... so I use it more. I still use the mail and IRC features of mozilla quite a bit though.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I use Moz very nearly exclusively. IE only for browsing on Microsoft's site while at work. When I had *nix boxes with KDE, I did a lot with Konq, because it was handy, but not that I'm purely WindowMaker, it's all Moz there are well.

Handruin

Administrator
blakerwry said:
i used IE 2/3 in win3.1... it blows compared to netscape 2.0. Netscape rules!!!

I install NT 4.0 enterprise server the other day for a test and the install came with IE 2.0. You can't even get to microsofts site to update the browser. I had to go to mozilla, download their browser, and then go to MS to get a newer version of IE. (product help pages require IE 5.0 and above)

When you try to visit MS's site, the browser produces all types of errors, it's amusing.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I hate to admit that I use IE 5.5 for most of my browsing, but exclusively Opera for downloads. Opera has the built-in ability to stop a download and restart at a later time. This functionality comes in very handy with 56K if you're downloading a 50MB file and someone needs to use the phone, or you get disconnected. With IE, you generally end up starting over again, although once in a while it picks up where it left off. I do use Opera about 20% of the time for browsing, but for some reason it's not very stable on my system. After an hour or two it sometimes locks the entire system.

I also have Mozilla and Crazy Browser, but to date haven't played around with them enough to get an opinion. Mozilla does seem to be unstable on my system if used for any length of time.

Actually, all the browsers will eventually cause my system to crash, just IE5.5 seems to take the longest to do it. Funny thing is when I'm not using the Internet or MS Train Simulator(less buggy than IE5.5 but still the cause of occasional lockups), the machine will happily plug along for days. Can't anyone design a stable browser or is it just some quirk of my machine or OS?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I haven't had a crash with Opera 7 since the first beta. When I find a decent skin for it, I will probably buy it.

You STILL can't print HTML emails with its mail client, however. :(

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I was just doing some reading on the Phoenix browser. Need to try it once they get it along to v0.7 or so.

dingo

What is this storage?
Phoenix is one that you have to try .I've been using it for several weeks now and have uninstalled Mozilla,no E-mail but that is not an issue.No popups.Stable

Mercutio

Since no one is going to stand up for it, I'd also like to say that having lynx & wget are both incredibly handy utilities. I use wget to snag web pages via scripts fairly regularly (you figure out what I use *that* for), and lynx is excellent for annoyingly image-laden pages (e.g. most motherboard manufacturers) and for "I just need to check the headlines at cnn.com"-type things.

honold

Storage is cool
i like w3m better than lynx

lots of others prefer links to lynx

cas

I would be interested to know what the server logs say. From similar polls I have looked at recently, far more people claim to use something other than IE, than actually do.

SF is a pretty small community however, so who knows?

Handruin

Administrator
cas said:
I would be interested to know what the server logs say. From similar polls I have looked at recently, far more people claim to use something other than IE, than actually do.

SF is a pretty small community however, so who knows?

Good call cas, I was about to post the browser results earlier, but dinner side tracked me. The basics is that 78% of the people who visit here, use IE. I'll post them soon.

Mercutio

Eh. lynx was the first web client I used. Until I saw mosaic, I really did like gopher better, since its numbered links imposed more organization to the information being presented. Anyway, since my early internet access was all shell-based, it's the client I came to love.

By the same token, I still use elm for a mail client more often than anything else, despite the availability of many other mail packages.

Handruin

Administrator
browsers-stat-jan.jpg

OS-stat-jan.jpg

search-stat-jan.jpg

OK fess up, who has a web TV? :p

Mercutio

"78% IE" -> Keep in mind that many folk visit SF during the day on PCs where they might not have control over the choice of browsers.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
as of late I've made it a point to spend a decent amount of time doing my browsing with all the major browsers - IE 6, Mozilla, Phoenix, Opera 7. I'm waiting to updrade to KDE3.1 to try out Konqueror with tabs, but that computer isn't in Linux much.

Lately I've appreciated the IMAP mail client in Opera. Way back when I tried Mozilla's mail client, but never really liked it. But I should give it another try.

Speaking of email clients....time to post another poll!

GMac

I'm currently using I.E 5.5 SP2 at home, but the Javascript's screwed up :( Friend's PC (running same browser in Win2000 SP2) has exactly the same problem. I'll be looking for alternatives once I get my new system up & running.

GM

e_dawg

Storage Freak
CrazyBrowser is awesome. I love it. All the advantages of using IE, plus it adds the two most important features found in the competition: tabbed browsing and pop-up blocking.

Opera 7.01 is my 2nd favourite with excellent features like tabbed browsing, intelligent pop-up blocking, defining URL shortcuts (type "sf" for storageforum.net), mouse gestures, and magic wand auto forms/password completion. Problem is that it doesn't render all pages properly and uses Sun's Java VM instead of MS (I'm not sure whether the VM or the rendering engine is the problem, but either way it doesn't work properly with a Java applet I use regularly). One drawback is that you cannot define your own keyboard shortcuts, as Opera uses non-standard shortcuts that are somewhat inconvenient.

Mozilla 1.1b is my 3rd favourite with excellent forms, cookie, and image management features, and editable keyboard shortcuts (although it is a pain to edit), and of course tabbed browsing and pop-up blocking. Does not remember last set of tabs that were open, though, which is a big flaw for me.

Ralf Hutter

What is this storage?
Opera for me, 99.9% of the time, IE for the other .1% of the pages that Opera doesn't work with (Win Update, M$KB to name a few).