Whither the JEDEC Standard Memory?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been looking at parts for a build, and found exactly one company making JEDEC standard 4GB DDR3 1333 sticks; they're non-existent at speeds above that, and the 2GB sticks are still hard to find. Everybody else guarantees the speed if you manually set the timings and over-volt, but the SPD is set at a lower rate.

What's the deal here?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The gskill I just got has SPD for 1333, and beyond.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I wasn't aware that there was a JEDEC standard for above DDR3-1333? Hence, if there is no standard above that speed, then you can't make modules that meet the non-existant standard...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
They're both still around $100 more than the guaranteed overclock sticks.

Keep in mind those links were for 2 matching 4GB sticks.... the sticks can be purchased individually for ~ $150 a pop. By my math that's a $50 a stick premium at best.

Why by G.Skill or OCZ "guaranteed" overclock sticks when you can buy RAM that just works.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Fair enough. The promise of saving a few bucks has lead many a man to make one choice over another.

I, personally, do not play around with memory anymore. My first 3 memory purchases burned me. Then I started buying Crucial and Kingston and haven't had a problem*. I once tried buffalo (after several good recommendations) and got burned by them with two bad sticks in a row. Now I'm back to the two brands I have come to trust by experience.

*I bought a pair of crucial off ebay/forum and one stick was bad. Crucial sent me a free replacement 2nd day air.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
To second blakerwry, I've used many different brands over the years, the only reliable RAM has been from Kingston. Mind you in my context, I don't overclock and mainly stick to what they say is the best RAM for the system I am supplying for. (Their product search service is awesome if supplying for name brand PCs/Servers).

I will admit I've had a few DIMMs go bad from Kingston, but they were never a hassle in getting replacements quickly and easily.