question Winamp on computer sync to Android no SD support?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
OK, I tried winamp on windows and mac but I don't see how to use the android device SD card. Can winamp not use an android device SD card for media sync with a computer?

I used the ICS memory management to switch the winamp app itself to SD and that didn't change anything.

Winamp for android is happy using my phones SD for music but managing my playlists on the device is a PITA. I was really hoping for desktop sync.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I always just transfer stuff with an SMB client. What's the value of "sync" as opposed to just copying the files in some more convenient way?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
It will transfer playlists from the desktop too. It appears that there is no playlist import on the android app itself.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You know everyone always mentions how helpful people are in the linux/android community but that has never been my experience. Case in point I posted this across three forums and Merc was the only one that replied. Winamp forum is positively dead it appears, H forums got nothing and I didn't even bother with android central this time.

Mercutio

I messed with it a little bit and it looks like if I use Windows Media Player (the only place I have a playlist defined), I can transfer the whole playlist through that.
I deal with things as albums or directories of files, but that's because I might very well have four files that comprise 70 minutes of music where I know that most people are dealing with two and a half minute songs so their needs are different from mine.

It looks like I can do the same thing with Winamp but I barely have any music on the computer I'm using right now.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi,
Sorry for not responding, and I don't think I'll be able to answer your questions, but here is some info:

Any Android 3.0+ device uses MTP for file transfers between host and device (pretty common knowledge these days). The MTP specification itself does have playlist support, however from what I have seen playlist support on the MTP side is broken... (at least with 3.x it is, actually it's so broken, that it doesn't actually work).

Now, as long as Winamp on the PC can sync with MTP devices (which as far as I know it can), and Winamp on Android uses the system playlist store and not it's own playlist store, it should be pretty seamless. (on provision that MTP playlist support in ICS actually works). From what you are describing, could it be the case that Winamp on Android uses it's own playlist store and not the system one? (The easiest way to check is to create a playlist in the Google Media Player, and see if it shows up in Winamp). If that's the case (and it doesn't use it), you're screwed... sorry... if it does, and Winamp can't sync a playlist to the device, that actually could be due to a broken MTP stack on the Android side of things?

The only other thing I could suggest was to export the playlist to a file, and import the playlist on the device? (if that's an option).

Mercutio

The playlist I imported from WMP shows up on my device in both WinAmp and Google's Music app. So it does appear to use the same playlist store.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Holy crap, thanks guys!

Nope, having an android device for only a month I didn't know about MTP but I will look into it. I was thinking of some sort of playlist export to XML and import that on the phone.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I was obviously over thinking this, simply dropping m3u files in a random location works. I was thinking I would have to put them in a special folder or import them in an app and I couldn't find notes on either.

It would have been nice to have something keep them in sync with itunes but without winamp on a desktop supporting the sd card it won't happen.

ddrueding

Fixture
I use something called FolderSync for Android. Specify a folder on your network and a folder on the device, it will sync manually or anytime you connect to WiFi.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I was thinking about beyond compare but that sounds even better.