Windows update problems lately?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Anyone have trouble with windows updates killing a machine lately? Basically after installing windows updates it won't boot, hangs on installing updates forever. I had a VM do this to me a couple weeks ago and I had to go into safe mode and remove the latest updates, redid updates and it was fine.

Now my main game desktop that I haven't used in like a month did the same thing, turned it on and got all updates and it hung at installing updates on the next and every other reboot. Did the same thing and went into safe mode and removed the latest updates and now when that machine reboots it goes to a black desktop with a pointer on it and thats it.

Boot disk repair option says nothing is wrong. Boot disk upgrade install says launch it from inside windows.

Thoughts?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hmm, that isn't good. It has avast on it. Pull the drives and scan with something else?

ddrueding

Fixture
Hmm, that isn't good. It has avast on it. Pull the drives and scan with something else?

No, even after the rootkits were removed updates would still fail or cause the system to fail. I don't remember if a repair install fixed the issue or not.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Try to execute "regsvr32 wuaueng.dll". It often worked for me to fix a broken WindowsUpdate service. Also, regarding the rootkit, visit www.bleepingcomputers.com, go to their spyware removal section and download combofix. You can ask them for help too (I think they have a forum).