Wired Article on Engineering reliability and warranty data

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Meh. There is nothing new in the article. Maybe some advert by the Fords?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Meh. There is nothing new in the article. Maybe some advert by the Fords?

I kinda thought the same thing. But to someone who has not considered this kind of stuff before I could see how it would be a good read...

Handruin

Administrator
What I would find way more intriguing is the practices applied in NASA and space exploration with regards to these similar longevity testing and engineering. Designing for the large unknown sounds like a much more interesting challenge and article discussion. I'd like to know what went into the design of something like Voyager 1 that has been operating in space since 1977!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I kinda thought the same thing. But to someone who has not considered this kind of stuff before I could see how it would be a good read...

I worked with design control for a couple of years in the mid 2000s. It was fine while it lasted.

Handruin

Administrator

I work on this kind of stuff from a software perspective, not from a physical hardware perspective. Software obviously eliminates a bunch of material variability that someone like yourself might have to account for in an automotive manufacturing and reliability project. I've seen similar practices applied to things like furniture, but that's on a different scale than a vehicle. Solving the problem of testing hardware is interesting to me. I just have no first-hand exposure to it.