WTB: Socket A CPU with 266Mhz FSB

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Anything cheap! My father-in-laws CPU died and I need to get him up and running. :-(

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
GOt a Duron 1600 en route but if anybody has another CPU, the other motherbard I have here is probably in need of one if I can find out cheap.

Thanks,
CxP

CougTek

Serial computer killer
IMO, forget socket A. A Sempron 3000+ AM2 cost me 35$CAN and a cheapo motherboard for it (GeForce 6100-based) cost 60$CAN. I'll soon have 1GB DDR2 667MHz modules for 50$CAN each (next week, they now cost me 53.50$). 145$CAN gives you a modern platform instead of an unreliable museum piece. That's roughly 127U$. Dual core Athlon 64 X2 3600+ now cost me 78$CAN, that would bring the total to 188$CAN (164U$). There's little reason not to upgrade.

Prices in Québec are higher than in the States, so Merc/Buck can have these for even less.

If you still don't want to upgrade (not from me - I know you can get better prices locally), then I have an Athlon XP 1800+, but I won't let it go without the GigaByte GA-7N400 Pro it is sitting on. Both go for 80$CAN (70U$) + shipping and yes, I know this isn't cheap for the crap it is (so you should upgrade).

Note : An AM2 Sempron on a GeForce 6100-based motherboard consumes less wattage than a socket A combo.

Note² : The elder has to understand that computer components have a design life of 5 years and his has done its time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
His was literally a freebie.

I have a number of XP1700s but I no longer have HSFs for them. I'm sure I can find one for you. I no longer have any spare, functional motherboards. I just have a few CPUs I upgraded for myself and never got around to selling.

There's not THAT much difference between the Duron and an XP. Your Dad probably wouldn't notice, anyway.

Coug is right, though. Socket A is done.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc, all I'll need is a CPU to use in the motherboard I thought was dead. I'll make a little file server or something with it.

My father-in-law's system already has the replacement M/B in it so he'll be keeping that and getting the Duron 1600 I got (for $20 shipped) for him (from the seller of the replacement motherboard, actually).

No rush on the 1700+. When you can find one, let me know what you want for it and I will PayPal you the cash...

Thanks again...

Clocker

Handruin

Administrator
I think I still have an athlon XP 2400+ (T-bred) in my closet (or maybe it's in storage, my shits scattered everywhere these days). I never put that machine back into action. Would that work? I have a thermal right HSF (all copper) that fits it.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
You probably have the Thermalright SK-7. Maybe it's the CPU we gave you a while ago. Along with a Abit NF-7 IIRC (which is now dead, I think).

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think I still have an athlon XP 2400+ (T-bred) in my closet (or maybe it's in storage, my shits scattered everywhere these days). I never put that machine back into action. Would that work? I have a thermal right HSF (all copper) that fits it.

Sounds good to me! LMK what you want for it...

KCH

Handruin

Administrator
It is... I received an abit replacement, though I never set it up.

Handruin

Administrator
In fact, the whole system probably works...I was just slightly demotivated to get it working for other reasons. I only have/use one machine right now and at most the only thing I really use it for is RAW image processing (aside from internet and e-mail crap).

Clocker, I didn't pay anything for it, so I'd probably only ask for shipping on it. Are you interested in the HSF? Is that taboo of me to give back a donated item? I'd rather see someone make use of it than have it enter my ever-growing CPU graveyard.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Definitely not taboo in my eyes. :) If you don't need the HSF, I'll take it too. Just PM me whatever it costs...

CxP

Handruin

Administrator
First thing I need to do is find it (I think it's still in the motherboard and case). :) I'll PM you info when I get home and can located everything.