Xubuntu 12.10

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I just installed Xubuntu 12.10 on my main desktop. Installation was very straightforward and everything seems more polished and integrated than Linux Mint (several versions old) that was on here before.

The only things missing for me are an application launcher that I can type into to find something and a file manager with tabs. From what I've read version 1.6 of Thunar does support tabs. This is my first experience with Xfce, it seems very configurable and fast so far.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The Ubuntu Sofware Center is also one of the nicer package managers I've used. This isn't specific to Xubuntu though. It is weird seeing software with a pricetag attached though.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I also installed the Steam beta client (AKA Mercutio's Bane). I don't own any games, but maybe I'll buy something for the hell of it. Any recommendations? This system is not all the high powered (Q6600, GeForce 8600 GT), so I don't know if any games will run very well.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The Steam Store for Linux doesn't have many offerings, but Swords and Sworcery is well done, as is World of Goo. I think both were part of the Humble Android Bundle.

And for what it's worth, most Humble Bundle titles are cross platform, so that's something to look out for.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
For what it's worth, I prefer Lubuntu because LXDE is even more light weight than XFce and I prefer to run my window manager with the least ressources possible. LXDE is reasonably polish and perfectly usable. I do want to run a windows manager. I hate command-line-only interface. It's too 80's for my taste. Sometimes, progress is good.

Before knowing about LXDE, Xubuntu was my distro of choice.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I haven't tried Lubuntu yet. Does it's file manager have a proper find function that will search subdirectories?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You mean you don't love the command line find utility? ;)

I'm fine with it if I'm currently using the command line, but if I am in the file manager I don't want to have to switch to the command line. Both Mate (Gnome 2.0) and KDE support this in their file managers out the box.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Honestly, I don't know if there's a find function because I've never bothered using a find function in LXDE. I'll check later on. One of my systems dedicated to the F@h client is running Lubuntu.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The default instance of PCManFM with LXDE doesn't come with a search feature, most people use either the command line or catfish, or grab one of the modded versions of PCManFM. (Catfish is installed by default with Lubuntu).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The default instance of PCManFM with LXDE doesn't come with a search feature, most people use either the command line or catfish, or grab one of the modded versions of PCManFM. (Catfish is installed by default with Lubuntu).

I was just playing with Catfish. I'm not impressed. It's terribly slow, the UI locks up while performing a search, and I need to type *s for some reason.

I just want to press CTRL-F, type part of a filename, and get results.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You've sort-of reminded me that I've been meaning to see what the Enlightenment people have been up to since the late '90s.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You've sort-of reminded me that I've been meaning to see what the Enlightenment people have been up to since the late '90s.

I've never used Enlightenment. Looks like it's still an actively developed WM.

I just installed Dolphin, it's a much better file manager than any others that I've used.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I was just playing with Catfish. I'm not impressed. It's terribly slow, the UI locks up while performing a search, and I need to type *s for some reason.

I just want to press CTRL-F, type part of a filename, and get results.
Then if you want to use LXDE (over XFCE), then replace PCManFM with SpaceFM, or install Recoll.

PS. I do most of my stuff from the CLI, so apologies for not being more helpful on the GUI tool front... ;)