Are people open to changing the forum software again? Please leave feedback.

Handruin

Administrator
This is an item on my list of things to address. Going to the last page and most recent posts just be simple for us users and not require a ton of steps so I will work on making this more intuitive. I haven't had much time later this week to work on the new forum. I'm traveling this weekend so I may not have time until Sunday.

My hope is to have most of the major concerns addressed and then make them available to demo before we switch over. I appreciate the feedback and I welcome the criticism. I'll be sure to post for more feedback once I've addressed the items in this thread. I'll try to make an updated list so we can keep track.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Inside the fora the dates under "Last Message" are still grey, but linked. The ones at higher levels are grey and not linked.

EDIT: "Last" not "Latest";

Apparently the links only exist when one is logged in. Very strange. :(

Handruin

Administrator
Doug, any update on the upgrade? I've been deleting lots of spam lately.

I haven't had time to work out the last of the items I need to get done. My apologies for the delay, I hope to have time soon to get us moved over. Thanks for helping out with the spam, I have also seen a larger amount coming in recently and have been actively deleting new accounts that are spammers.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Being someone with a bit of OCD, and not liking change. Take your time Doug. LMAO.

Handruin

Administrator
Small update: I'm still working on some back-end components and things are moving slow. I've built up some scripting that can be used to rebuild the entire server and all the components in the event of a disaster so that recreation is easier manage. To do this I need to be destructive to the dev environment in order to test and being that this is a cloud provider it is making things easier for me to demo. Once this scripting and documenting is done, I can share the scripts/code such that others can help with continuing the site's persistence in the event something happens to me. With that said, progress has been slow mostly because of personal events. Nothing bad or serious, just time-consuming stuff that has taken away my time from working on this.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Handy for all the efforts, time and money you put in for the community! And no worries, nothing is going to happen to you, you'll be around taking care of this!

Best,

m

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks, I'll let you know. Once I get things working a little better I may be asking for a review of it. I have a collection of bash scripts that I've written to configure new domains on the server and to manage nginx for things like adding the TLS certificates from Let's Encrypt and also for managing the certificate renewals every 90 days. I'm working to have a more automated way of installing all the Linux packages I want along with configuring them. I'm guessing this could be done with a container (which you've mentioned in the past) and Kubernetes or possibly something like Chef/Ansible.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't think I'd introduce chef for a single system based on my previous experience with it. Though it may have improved over the last two years.

I'd probably try to use straight docker first before adding additional complexity.