question Basic Batteries

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Where do you buy primary alkaline batteries? Store prices are just crazy, e.g., almost $9 for two 9V batteries. :eek3:

My devices consume about 15 of the 9V batteries per year plus over a hundred of the AA and AAA cells. That does not include the rechargeables used for photoflash and flashlights. Are some of the lesser brands of alkaline batteries advertized online reliable?

Stereodude

Not really a
Costco. Duracell's are reasonable there. Keep in mind you won't get a 2 pack thought. You'll get like 8 9V's for 10.99 or something like that.

LunarMist

Is Amazon a good vendor? I ordered from them about 7 years ago and the shipping/packaging was not very good. :rnd:

Handruin

Administrator
Is Amazon a good vendor? I ordered from them about 7 years ago and the shipping/packaging was not very good. :rnd:

Yes, and from recent experience with returning things, their policy is great. They've even paid for the return shipping cost, unlike newegg. They are my go-to place for ordering board games and card games among many other things.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Even hard drives? :bleh:

Out of the last two dozen or so orders for small numbers of drives I've placed with Amazon, the normal standard for packing is in a custom box that contains two plastic inserts that hold the drive suspended and cushioned on all sides, just like every drive you've ever gotten in a retail box. I've gotten this type of packaging 23 out of 24 orders.

The outlying order involved two drives that were shipped in a standard size box, where the drives were flat against the bottom of the package and only two air-filled packets were provided as cushion. Neither drive was functional when they arrived, but they were shipped during the holiday rush and the return was so fast and easy that I'm not going to hold it against anyone.

LunarMist

Interesting. Is that with the UPS? Last time I ordered there was some weird shipping carrier.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
My devices consume about 15 of the 9V batteries per year plus over a hundred of the AA and AAA cells. That does not include the rechargeables used for photoflash and flashlights.
Maybe that's the problem?

I've purchased non-rechargeable batteries twice in the last five years: I bought a 9V for my smoke detector last year, and a couple of years ago, I got some C cells, before realizing that I already had adapters for AAs.