Bug in MS Paint

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Can someone try to reproduce this?

In WinXP, open Paint.

Make a scribble, create a new folder in "My Documents", and save the file.
Exit paint.

Now, try to delete the folder you just created.

Mercutio

Weird.

It's reproducable on a whole roomful of machines here. Maybe it's the AV software or something.

Thanks Buck.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
You're welcome.

By the way, here is what I did.

Opened Paint
Scribbled
Clicked Save
Created New Folder "Paint"
Opened folder "Paint"
Saved file "untitled.bmp in folder "Paint"
Exited Paint
Opened Windows Explore
Navigated to folder "Paint"
Clicked on and Deleted folder "Paint"
Closed Windows Explore
Accessed the Recycle Bin
Deleted folder "Paint" from Recycle Bin

Mercutio

I'm getting an error at the "Clicked on and Deleted "Paint"" stage.

"This folder contains files opened by other users and cannot be deleted...blah blah blah"

Examining a list of LOCALLY open files (no one is accessing these files from the network), I note that thumbs.db is held open as is the folder in question, even if I don't have an open explorer Window. Also, I'm noticing an unusually large memory usage for explorer (30MB instead of about 12) for these vanilla machines with nothing open.

If I kill explorer, I can delete the folder, no problem.

These machines are fully-updated XP SP1a with SAV 8.1 installed and running.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Buck said:
was outta here like a set of rims at a puff daddy concert.
Buck get with the times. Its Puff Diddy now. Or maybe I'm behind the times again? Is this another case of an artist formerly known as "some other name" who decides to change back to there original name? Either way, it doesn't matter. Sean Puffy Combs and his lot are definetly no boon to this world.

Mercutio

Will Rickards WT said:
thumbs.db has to do with the thumbnail view I believe.
Did you actually open the paint folder or just select it in the parent folder and then delete?

It seemed to happen whether or not I open the folder.
It isn't replicable on my home XP machine either.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CityK said:
Buck said:
was outta here like a set of rims at a puff daddy concert.
Buck get with the times. Its Puff Diddy now. Or maybe I'm behind the times again? Is this another case of an artist formerly known as "some other name" who decides to change back to there original name? Either way, it doesn't matter. Sean Puffy Combs and his lot are definetly no boon to this world.

I'm light years behind CityK. From what I've seen it is now P. Diddy. Although your alias is quite up to date, it has that same badboy rapper zing to it.

Mercutio

Well, it's reproducable on 3/4 of the XP machines in this building. Random machines, too; it doesn't depend on hardware or anything.

SFC seems to fix it but I have no idea what's broken or why.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Wouldn't it be nice if you could just sit and chat with someone knowledgabe at Microsoft about all of these wonderful issues you come up with?

Mercutio

Mine are always extra-special weird, aren't they?

The sad thing is, our lab machines are in an unsupported configuration, since we have two versions of Office installed AND because our machines dual boot. We can't get help with Microsoft software from Microsoft even if we want it.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
if im correct, I believe the thumbs.db file is only created when one opens the folder in thumbnail view (either when saving/opening a file or when viewing in explorer/my computer).

couple thing on my mind.. paint uses the bmp format by default and might be creating a huge file that's taking a while for explorer to process and make a thumnail file for (or the thumbnail file might be larger than normal and taking longer to read). This could be compounded by a slow disk drive and/or too little RAM.

Perhaps you can try with a smaller file, a gif or jpg perhaps...

also, in explorer, you can goto the folder options and check the option labelled "do not cahce thumbnails". This has speed up operations on folders with lots of pictures for me before. Maybe it will be the trick you need.

Mercutio

I'm only interested in the default operation of MSPaint.

It's used in beginning computer classes by people who don't know how to do things like save a file.

e.g. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Paint.
You have a basic drawing program. Notice the things along the sides...
(Several minutes spent doodling)
Now we're going to save the file.
(Several minutes spent refreshing discussion of files and folders, several more on the Save Dialog)
Make a new folder
Save your file.

A few minutes later, the folder that is created is deleted, to explain the idea of the recycle bin.

...except that it isn't working that way. On the machines in question, mspaint is staying open without being attached to a Window, and is holding the New Folder (not the file!) open as well. Killing that instance of mspaint with task manager sometimes allows the folder to be deleted, but we can't show people who have trouble with the mouse how to use task manager. Sometimes, explorer has to be killed as well. Even most of the other instructors get all nervous when I mention that (even though it's easy to bring back).

I literally spent all day trying to figure out a way to fix that problem.
Oddly, after the daily Windows Updates ran, the problem DID seem to go away, but I was still able to find enough others to determine that running Windows Update doesn't fix the problem.
Nor does uninstalling or reinstalling paint.
Nor running the 98 version.
Nor deleting Paint's registry entries.
Nor running regclean.
Nor sfc

In fact, it's still a mystery.

Mercutio

No, they aren't. It happens on the office machines, including some laptops that still more-or-less have the factory config on them.

No, I haven't tried it. I never work there on Fridays and in point of fact I'm not working at all this weekend. Besides that, even if it doesn't happen when I'm working with, say, a JPEG, that still doesn't fix anything, since it's still broken when used in its default way.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Have you been able to reproduce this at home Merc? I wonder if you could reproduce the situation at work after a reinstall of one of the machines.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I just tried the same sequence on a PIII 866EB system running Windows XP Home and the deletion worked flawlessly. Not that it should make a difference, but I was remotely running this system and followed the sequence through VNC.

I know this only frustrates you more Merc, but I just had to let you know that I haven't been able to reproduce that problem.

Mercutio

I can't reproduce the problem anywhere but there. I tried on my one XP machine and my one 2003 Server and on several 2000 machines.

These machines have Symantec AV 8.1.

If someone had told me that functionality THAT basic wasn't working right in Windows XP, I'd probably break out laughing. That's how ridiculous this is. But it doesn't work and I'm not kidding.

Mercutio

Tried it. Didn't help.

Of course, with Symantec Products, the uninstall features are usually so god-awful that they don't work anyway.

But I wasn't in the mood to dig through the registry at that point looking for the leftovers, either.

Handruin

Administrator
Works fine on both my XP pro machines at home. Folder deleted no problems.