Cascading IE favorites

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
How can I make IE cascade favorites? I've got a gazillion bookmarks and I hate having to scroll up and down (yes, 98% of the favs are already in folders). IMHO, Netscape's bookmark management was infinitely superior. For reasons mentioned elsewhere (the browser you use thread), I'm sticking with IE now. :x

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Dood,

All you need to do is make folders in your %homepath%\favorites folder.

I think the favorites file system is stupid and wasteful myself, compared to bookmark.html, but at least in this one case there's a simple answer.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Shouldn't that be "dude"?? In a language spoken in a populous Asian country, "dood" with soft 'd's means milk. Are you calling me a sap? :wink:
(yes, 98% of the favs are already in folders)
I've got a gazillion bookmarks
Back to sqaurrrrre Vun!

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
Do you use the "Links" toolbar in IE?

This is far better than using Favorites... Create folders in the links bar (do this from within "Organise Favorites" and you have instant drop down access to your Favs without having to open the stupid favorites column down the side of your browser...

You do need to delete all the Microsoft advertising crap first :wink:

links.jpg

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Oops! I clean forgot to mention that I do not have the favs. column on the side of the browser; I need all the screen real estate I can get. Instead, I use the pull down off the Favorites menu.

Good suggestion, mangyDOG. I'll have to see how much of my limited screen will disappear when I try your suggestion (which I will. Now I sound like Pooh, eh?).

Thanks.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
have you already put the address bar up at the top with the Menu bar (like in the picture)... and made the toolbard "small" with selective text on right? (not in the pic)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Blake:

Nope & Yup.

I didn't know the address bar could share the space with the menu bar - thanks for that tip! I was already using small icons with selective text, and had added some extra icons by customizing the toolbar.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
mangyDOG,

I just set up my links toolbar. Interesting thing is that IE insists on alphabetizing the contents of each folder in the links bar. I even turned on favorites to show on the side and rearranged the contents of the links folder, but the drop downs from the links toolbar will not show in non-alpha sequence! Holy Crapola! :evil:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ancient windows-fu: If you want stuff to show up in non-alphabetical order, precede its name with a shifted character or a number, and it'll move to the top of the list.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually, Merc, that's only partly right. Leaving aside the Links toolbar sort issue, you can drag and drop single entries anywhere you want, and they'll stay that way till something does get FUd up. That's what I've done. I do have some with nn- preceding them, forcing a sort order, but this gets tedious real fast.

Guess I'll have to live with it.