Delay with message posting

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you try to post too fast you get an error message.

I think the delay is set to 1 minute, but since I type at light speed is there any way that this limitation could be eliminated?

-Tim

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Honestly, there's a good reason for it. Namely, to keep immature people from flooding a forum with posts.

Besides, us modem people never even notice. :)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The Jive forums didn't have a delay, and I never recall a problem.

Mercutio why don't you move to Illinios where you can get a damn cable modem. The service in Homewood is good... The only difference between IL and IN is that cigarettes and gas are more expensive in IL...

-Tim

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tim, I pay $450 a month for 1000 square feet and utilities paid. The neighborhood sucks, but I'm a half hour from the loop, close to my family and my fiance's school, and since my apartment is scheduled for a total renovation when I move out, I get to do whatever I want with the place.

There's a lot of good things about the other side of the state line too, you know. Like 1000 sq foot apartments for $450.

Handruin

Administrator
timwhit said:
If you try to post too fast you get an error message.

I think the delay is set to 1 minute, but since I type at light speed is there any way that this limitation could be eliminated?

-Tim

I have the delay set to 25 seconds, if this is an issue I can increase it. However, I thought it was a reasonable amount of time inbetween posts.

-Doug

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
"... but since I type at light speed is there any way that this limitation could be eliminated?"

Yes! Simply take a pair of bolt cutters and remove about six or eight fingers. Then we would be typing at the same speed and the world would be a fairer place. :cry:

(Hint: I suggest a few asprin first.)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't really type all that fast, and I proofread everything that I post to the best of my ability. But if I'm posting short messages then it takes very little time to compose them...This is where the problem comes in.

-Tim

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
... I got an email, telling me that a new private message had arrived. Here is the header (some addresses suitably anti-spam hacked)

Return-Path: <nobody@hoover.hostnoc.net>
Delivered-To: me@myisp.com.au
Received: (qmail 14866 invoked by uid 1087); 30 Jul 2002 13:53:34 -0000
Delivered-To: tea@redhill.net
Received: (qmail 14861 invoked by uid 620); 30 Jul 2002 13:53:34 -0000
Received: from nobody@hoover.hostnoc.net by ren.netconnect.com.au with qmail-scanner-0.94 (uvscan: v4.1.40/v4214. . Clean. Processed in 0.201185 secs); 30/07/2002 23:53:34
Received: from hoover.hostnoc.net (66.96.254.2)
by 0 with SMTP; 30 Jul 2002 13:53:33 -0000
Received: from nobody by hoover.hostnoc.net with local (Exim 3.35 #1)
id 17ZU0p-00011v-00
for tea@redhill.net; Tue, 30 Jul 2002 06:13:55 -0400
To: tea@redhill.net
Subject: New Private Message has arrived
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:13:55 UT
Message-Id: <E17ZU0p-00011v-00@hoover.hostnoc.net>
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - hoover.hostnoc.net
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - redhill.net
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [0 0]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - hoover.hostnoc.net

Charset: iso-8859-1

Hello Tea,

etc....

Now the funny thing is that I actually got the PM ages before that: it is dated in my PM inbox as 30th July, 20:13, and I sent my reply at 20:48. (On whatever timeclock the SF server uses, modified by whatever adjustment phpBB makes for my timezone, if any.) But I checked my email several times before I left the office an hour or three later and didn't get the notification there, and to provide a double check, my home system polls for emails every 60 seconds too - and this means that i can be pretty close to certain that the SF server didn't send the email until a minute or two before I got it here at home, or about five minutes before I posted that "five minutes ago" above.

(None of this concerns me in the slightest - geting an email for SF PMs is neither here nor there, I'll see them soon enough anyway - just that maybe it has something to do with the topic of this old thread, and I thought I should mention it.)

PS: I did happen to notice that I didn't get an email for that PM at the time, but gave no particular thought to it. It is possible that that particular mail just disappeared somewhere and the one I just got concerned a different PM, one which was sent to me a few minutes before I started this post but which didn't arrive in my PM Inbox because the sender changed his mind and deleted it amost immediately - but this seems very unlikely - it would have to have all taken place within a few moments, because I checked my PM Inbox right away and there was nothing new there.

PPS: To the best of fmy knowledge, there has been nothing wrong with either my web connections or my mail server in the intervening time - I've been on-line almost the whole time, and checking my mail frequently.

PPPS: This is a stupidly long post for such a trivial event, but what the hell - if it is something you need to know, Doug, good, and if not, then at least it's one more post in my ongoing campaign to catch up with Tannin and beat him to 1000. :)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
DOH!

I just realised that I'm still in the wrong thread! I thought (from the title) that this was the thread about SF emails going astray, particularly the confirmation email that goes out when you first sign up and gives you the page to go to to activate your membership. This was quite an issue in the early days.

Timwit, my apologies. I am cracking up!