Email and networking issues

James

Storage is cool
Tea said:
But not this week, alas. First I have to present the tax man with many and various bits of paper with numbers on them. Hopefully, I'll get the numbers in all the right places.
Ah, the delightful BAS. My girlfriend is toiling through hers (errr, supposed to be toiling through hers) right now.

She seems actually to be emailing people instead. Hm.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
1: Smoothwall is working fine.

2: Junk Spy has its little issues, but is also working fine, all things considered.

3: The mail in different places problem has sorted itself out without my bothering to do anything much, now that I have 24 hour connectivitity. I leave my home mail client running all the time and set to get mail every 60 seconds but leave everything on the server, and my office one set to delete messages from the server but only get them on command. In theory, I could get an email arrive in my ISP's in box at 12:01:32 and happen to check my mail from the office machine at 12:01:34 and thus clear it out before the next scheduled home machine query at 12:01:53 - but seeing as I only check my mail on the office machine a few times a day (maybe four), it's not a big concern. Doubtless there is the odd message that slips through and only makes it to the office machine, but no so as I've ever noticed.

4: I am still hopeless at replying to email in a timley manner.

5: I'm going to take Mark's suggestion and get a hardware firewall/router with VPN at some stage when I get bored enough to feel like doing it. (So that I can do work from home.) I could do it all in software with a couple of 'nix boxes (such as the Smoothies I already have) but it sounds like actual work - a thing that I have grown to dislike quite strongly. :)