Future of Retail

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Although the story has been inspired by Apple, the principle applies to all bricks and mortar retail outlets:

$1 million bet that Apple will abandon 3rd party retail

Original letter the story is based on

Of course this is a publicity stunt, but for years I have questioned the future of much bricks and mortar retailing, particularly consumer electronics and general electrical appliances.

JB Hi-Fi is a consumer electronics retail chain; Kogan is like Vizio in the U.S.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Apple would be shooting itself in the foot if, every time a kid wanted an ithing, some beleaguered parent had to hop on Apple.com, set up an account and type in a credit card number. There are too many unsophisticated people who just won't shop that way.

Likewise, the irony of having to make a special trip to a community large and upscale enough to have an Apple store location to purchase an "It just works/computer for the rest of us" Apple machine is slightly delicious.

I'm sure no big company likes having their chain yanked by Walmart's (or the local equivalent) logistical needs, but the whole world does not shop the way we do, and like it or not bricks and mortar do still matter for some of these things.