Half-Life Process Does Not Shut-Down

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I never had this problem until I got my SMP system. If I play some Counter-Strike and then shut the game down, the game stops but the 'process' will stay resident in the background. I cannot launch another Half-Life/COunter-Strike session until I go into Task Manager and manually kill the hl.exe process.

See Below. Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it? I haven't really tried anything yet...I've just been living with the manual process.

halflife.gif

Thanks,
Clocker

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow. Dare I say that the great minds of SF Tech Support have been stumped!?

C

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I looked all over the net at HL troubleshooting guides and FAQs and could find nothing on this problem.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Take a look on 2cpu.com forums...

Perhaps something is wrong on your Windows or HL installation?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I've had no such prob with HL on my dual Athlon 1.47. I do have a prob where if I minimise HL and go to the desktop, then come back, I can't get the console/menu things to come up again :(

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I've recently noted that the condition I originally described only happens when I launch the game from within GameSpy....

How could GS be interfering with this?

C

Soup_Nazi

What is this storage?
I'm yet to find a problem that a windows reinstall, hl and cs install doesn't fix. However, its amazing how many different errors you can get by fiddling with the hl and cs config involving sound, video or data flow.
Video drivers give a diversity of issues with 'alt+tab'ing out of the game, either the resolution being different to completely crashing. My monitor often lets out some loud squeaks when I switch back to halflife after alt tabbing then changing desktop resolution back to 1024*768 and switching back, perhaps cos of monitor changing refresh rates or something. Sometimes EAX doesn't work with some live drivers, 1024*768 doesn't work with some voodoo drivers....sheesh, hl doesn't even start with the stock voodoo3 drivers for XP.
I think its got something to do with Hl being 3 years old and so tweakable and still the most popular online game, but thankfully by being so popular it has shitloads of fixes.
Best idea for fixes is to post on www.counter-strike.net forum and you'll have a million other people complaining about the same problem and they'll either give you a fix or fix it in the next version. ;)