help... ghost and/or winxp poor hdd perf onboard controller

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hey, I got fed up with the noise from my 800JB (even thoug it was sandwiched) and went to my 180gxp that I recently aquired... i tried to do a ghost dirve->drive copy but it resulted in a non-bootable machine (i even tried sector->sector copy)... booting safe mode showed that the boot process halts when loading mup.sys

anyway, i decided to try the repair console.. no go.. couldnt get it to boot... so I went and did the XP repair/reinstall... system booted and seemed dandy.. that is until I tried to use my backup drive on my onboard controller (via kt266a/8233). The drive is a 1200BB running in UDMA 5 mode, however i can only get 3.1MB of STR with it(seeks unnafected)... and even at such a low transfer rate it takes an incredible amount of system resources. I'm not sure if this affects all drives on the onboard controller or not(My 180gxp on my promise controller is for sure unnafected)

I have tried removing the IDE channels, removing the drives, and removing the controller from device manager... I actually got it partially working (HDD worked, but DVD was in PIO mode)... but I mucked it up when i got the DVD back in UDMA mode...

I have tried 3 different drivers for the controller(standard, microsoft's Via busmaster IDE controller, and Via's VIA busmaster IDE controller from 4-in-1's).. none work...

My problems should be solved if I could either get ghost to work correctly or just get the current config working with the onboard controller... any ideas on how I can fix this? ...I still have the 800JB fully intact with all my data.

I just installed this when I got my 800JB about a month or two ago and dont want to reinstall again... I just want to transfer my current settings and programs over to the 180gxp.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
lol, after I wrote this I realized that since the repair the HDD has only worked when the DVD (LiteOn ltd122)was in PIO mode, so I set it to PIO from UDMA 2.... the HDD seems to be working....

but now I have to figure out how to get my burner and my dvd working correctly... maybe if I put both optical drives on the same channel... or swap them...

tsk tsk...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
jeepers creeepers... Hmm aparently the LiteOn DVD drive is the entire source of the problems... The DVD drive has the same problem in a PIII 440BX... i got to looking at the pins and noticed one of them was pushed in... i used some pliers to pull it back out (lol)... ima gonna test it

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
phew.. i thought my drive wa busted... but aparently in the ghosting I must have unplugged the IDE cable and when I put it back on the DVD drive it pushed the pin in towards the drive...

I'm glad that's over... now my gf wont be mad at me for messing with the computer needlessly.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
lol...

I try not to jump into asking for help too fast, I had already played around for about 2 hours trying to get ghost working... (3 or 4 ghosts) after that, I gave up on ghost... and I did the repair(what does that take? 30 min?) and spent about another 15 minutes setting up drivers for sound and video (hercule's ftp was down so i had to "wait in line" at some crappy file planet knock off)

Then I spent another hour trying to fix this HDD issue after I noticed slow system response when using the drive...

That's when I posted here, knowing that the members here know more about ghost than I do... and thought someone might have more insight as to why i was getting a piddly 3.1MB/sec on my 7200rpm drive that was in UDMA mode 5...

I'm glad I noticed that pin... it was just about an 1/8th of an inch shorter than the others... a strong pull with the ol pliers fixed things right up.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Howell said:
Which pin was it?

DMA-pin.jpg

The cable I was using was double keyed(unlike the one pictured)... but I must have tried to insert it in backwards at one point or another (it's sometimes hard to tell because you don't have a noticeable red stripe on rounded cables)

The pin that was pushed in was just so about 1/8th of an inch.. hardly notciable... It's the pin that is slightly to the left of center on the top row of pins when looking at the rear of the DVD drive.

As I said earlier, the drive would operate fine in PIO mode, but when put into UDMA mode it would wreak havoc on the entire channel.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
This happened to me once. But with a 20gig hard drive. Also, it pushed all the way in. I don't know why because I did not put that much pressure on it... :(