Help-icons screwed up

Adcadet

Storage Freak
So there I was last night, happily playing Madden 2002 in WinXP...granted, it occasionally crashes, but I miss Win98 ;)
Anyway....it crashed once, and when my computer came back to life all of my icons on my primary monitor (the one that was running Madden) were the weird default icon (the one that windows will sometimes display while searching/loading the cute one). Under properties for each icon (but a few which don't make life easy like the recycle bin, my documents, and my computer) the actual cute icon was listed, and if I doubleclicked on the cute icon and hit apply it would go back to the actual icon. But This problem is also affecting all of my drives in "my computer".

Has anybody seen this before? Is there an easy fix (other than just using Red Hat)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Adcadet

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
TweakUI for XP - available from annoyances.org if you can't find it on the MS site - has a "Rebuild Icons" function. There are other ways to do it but that's by far the easiest.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
SCORE!

Thanks Merc - it worked like a charm! I have my computer back.
And thanks Tea - nice to know somebody out there has seen this before, even if they don't know the exact solution.

Adcadet