InCD CPU hog?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I installed the latest version of Ahead's InCD (v3.51.61) on a couple of older PCs (450 & 350MHz) running Win9x, and noticed the PCs seemed to become sluggish. I finally got around to checking CPU Utilization on the P450, and found it peaking at 25-30% every 5 seconds!

Although presumably less of a problem on faster PCs, InCD is definitely the culprit. Has anyone else experienced the latest programming incompetence from Ahead?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have similar issues with InCD on some of the older machines (K6-2/450s, P3/450 and 500 machines) I maintain. I strongly discourage use of CDRW discs, though, so my solution was to remove InCD from Startup.

Mercutio

1. Disc incompatibility. CD-RWs don't work in an awfully high percentage of readers in the world.
2. Disc incompatibility. To read a data CD-RW in a PC, you have to have some kind of UDF reader installed. Annoyingly, the two most common readers (Ahead's and Roxio's) are both over 1.44MB. Combine those two things and kiss portability goodbye.
3. UDF formatting. OK, it's a lot better than it was, in terms of time, but you DID realized that you're losing 150MB of a 700MB disc in filesystem overhead, right? Most people don't, and don't understand why their 600MB files won't copy to the disc that says "700MB" right on the outside.
4. Difficulty in labeling. In theory, a CD-RW is going to be rewritten. Therefore, it's very difficult to come up with an acceptable nonpermanent label, and the result of that is a bunch of unlabeled discs that you might very well mistake for blank CD-Rs.
5. Availability. CD-RWs are actually kind of hard to find in retail settings. I can go to my supermarket or hardware store and pick up a 10 pack of CD-Rs. For CD-RWs, yes, I can order online. But more likely, if I need some, I'm going to drive around to the different office and electronics stores to find some. I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a lot less retail space devoted to -RWs than there used to be but many more places offer CD-Rs than I would ever have expected to see (the gas station I go to has two-packs on sale next to the blank cassette tapes!).
6. Costs. CD-R - $.07 for 700MB. CD-RW - $1.50 for 550MB. I can write a lot of CD-Rs before that RW is worth the cost.
7. CD-Rs can replace files, too! When I explain that CD-Rs can be made as multi-session discs, and that newer copies of files can overwrite older versions already on the disc, suddenly CD-RWs seem less appealing. How often are most people going to be replacing files on a disc, anyway?
8. Media quality. Maybe it's just me, but out of the 20 12x CD-RW discs I've purchased at retail, only three can actually be formatted and used. The media that comes with Lite-On retail drives has been a little better - I have 23 out of 50-ish Lite-On branded discs that work the way they're supposed to. Is it that hard to make a decent CD-RW?

I have a really hard time justifying widespread use of CD-RW, given all of the above.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i agree with Merc, on every point there.

If I write to a CD-RW... I do it only with temp data and I write to it with winXP's software (I dont have a UDF writer installed).

This is mainly for testing purposes to get a finalized copy of something "just right".. or to give files to a friend.

I know this takes alot of the functionality out of a CD-RW, but until we get something like Mt. Rainer standard on operating systems I dont see much benefit using a CD-RW over a CD-R

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe I've had more luck than most with UDF CD-RWs, or maybe I'm just more willing to put up with their limitations, but here's a point of view from the other side of the fence:

Mercutio said:
1. Disc incompatibility. CD-RWs don't work in an awfully high percentage of readers in the world.

I always assume that CD-RWs will only work in a CD-RW drive, and not in plain CD readers. Using this as my working assumption, I rarely have problems. CD-RW drives are in nearly 100% of all machines sold nowadays anyway. I think what we have here is a chicken and egg problem. If more people used CD-RWs, then the manufacturers would work harder to make them more compatible, but since they are infrequently used, it is not worth their while to make improvements.

2. Disc incompatibility. To read a data CD-RW in a PC, you have to have some kind of UDF reader installed. Annoyingly, the two most common readers (Ahead's and Roxio's) are both over 1.44MB. Combine those two things and kiss portability goodbye.

My INCD folder is only 1.2 MB. I don't know why the new version is so bloated at 3.54 MB. :eek: In any case you can format standard floppies to 1.72MB if you need more space, and they are readable in Windows although you can't boot from them. The 2M format takes this even further to 1.88 MB. Ahead's web site does have a UDF reader that lets you read(but not write) UDF CDs in any standard CD reader that is capable of reading rewritable CD media, and it's only 708 KB. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a driver that let's me read UDF CD-RWs from the DOS prompt, which is kind of annoying. What we really need are to have the drives and the BIOS work together and natively recognize CD-RWs so that you can boot to a DOS prompt, type format G:(or whatever letter your drive is), and then save data on the disk the normal way once it's formatted. In other words, exactly a giant floppy disk without drivers of any sort. I'm not sure if this is all in the Mt. Rainier specification, or if you will still need to boot into Windows to be able to use a CD-RW disk.

3. UDF formatting. OK, it's a lot better than it was, in terms of time, but you DID realized that you're losing 150MB of a 700MB disc in filesystem overhead, right? Most people don't, and don't understand why their 600MB files won't copy to the disc that says "700MB" right on the outside.

You mean you get less than 550 MB out of a 700 MB disk? I'm thinking that perhaps InCD doesn't bother reading the "official" disk capacity and formats all disks as if they are 650 MB. Since I get 532 MB formatted capacity out of a disk that is officially 654 MB, you should get at least 570 MB out of a 700 MB disk. If not, then there's no point paying a premium for the higher capacity disks.

4. Difficulty in labeling. In theory, a CD-RW is going to be rewritten. Therefore, it's very difficult to come up with an acceptable nonpermanent label, and the result of that is a bunch of unlabeled discs that you might very well mistake for blank CD-Rs.

I've been using P-touch labels for this purpose from day one. They never fall off but are easily removed without damaging the disk.

Unfortunately, you're 100% correct about availability and cost. CompUSA used to have 50-disk bulk CD-RWs. In fact, I only paid $30 for one about two years ago. Now all they have are 5 or 10 packs that run at least $0.80 per disk. Granted, my disks are 2X and the newer ones are 4X and up, but for occasionally saving 5 or 10 MB of files every few days 2X is tolerable. Saving that much on floppies used to be painful, sort of like Chinese water torture.

Is it that hard to make a decent CD-RW?

It's that chicken and egg problem I mentioned earlier. Since not many people buy CD-RWs, there just isn't much incentive to improve them. What I think may turn the tide in favor of rewriteables are the billions of disks that will eventually wind up as landfill. While it makes perfect sense to put data that will never change on CD-Rs, it makes zero sense to use them for backups. This is precisely the niche that CD-RW shines in yet I hear of far too many people backing up on CD-R "because it's cheaper', and then "tossing the disks" when they make their next backup. Too many of these people are not aware that they can just burn CD-RWs in single or multisession if they don't care to use UDF software. While I'll agree UDF CD-RWs have their shortcomings, they are great for incremental backups. Also, once a disk starts to become unreliable when used in this way, it will still usually be just fine as a single or multisession disk for a couple of dozen more times.

Your post underscores that fact that as of nearly 2003 we still haven't found a viable floppy replacement, which is really what UDF is trying(but failing) to be. CD-RW won't work in this role, even with Mt. Rainier. Neither will DVD-RW or DVD+RW. The disks are just too big and unprotected for this role, period. The smaller 3" CD-RWs are cute but too expensive on a per MB basis to make any inroads here. Zip and LS-120(240) are thankfully on their way out finally. Both were like the inkjet printers of storage(cheap to buy but you spend a fortune in consumables-i.e. disks). M/O might be well suited to this role if the drives were cheaper. Something solid state about the size of a floppy that holds a few GB would also be great if it could sell for under $5/disk, but this is probably years off and it seems like all solid state media these days are proprietary formats, which is a hindrance to widespread use. About the best idea I've seen were the LS-240 drives that could format standard floppies to 32 MB. What they should really do is make a drive that just deals with regular floppies and not pricey LS-240 disks so that they could get rid of the expensive laser. Just use regular servoing and you can still get 32 MB out of standard floppies(or read and write standard 1.44 MB disks), but hopefully the drive will sell for only $25, hook up to an IDE port, and be recognized by the BIOS as a bootable device. Since everyone has tons of unused floppies sitting around the media are essentially free. The very reason CD-R is so popular is because it is both compatible and the disks are dirt cheap, and this drive would have the same two characteristics. Not an ideal replacement, but better than all the pricey, proprietary formats that have been inflicted upon us over the years, and all those unused floppies will enjoy a second life rather than ending up as landfill.

I can't believe I just spent over an hour writing about CD-RWs. :(

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I can't believe I just spent over an hour writing about CD-RWs.

not like this is a storage forum or anything.....

You recomend CD-Rw's for backups.. however this is preciesely one of the reasons I use CD-R's... Because I feel they will last longer and be more reliable for archival purposes. I keep my backups for many months (I recently threw out some 2 year old backups) And I don't want to burn a CD-RW only to find out that my data is gone.

And I agree with alot of what you wrote... esp. about the chicken/egg siituation we're in.

I still use RW's... but I dont use UDF.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
You recomend CD-Rw's for backups.. however this is preciesely one of the reasons I use CD-R's... Because I feel they will last longer and be more reliable for archival purposes.

Actually, I consider backups and archiving to be two entirely different things. Generally, backups are of data that changes fairly frequently, and are therefore worthless if they are more than a few weeks old. Archival life of the media is just about irrelevant here. I make the backup, verify it, and short of physical damage to the disk it should be good if I need it anytime in the next few weeks. If not, by then it'll be overwritten with a newer backup. Once there are errors in the verify process, I know longer use that disk for weekly backups, but relegate it to single or multisession use, which seems to be more tolerant of defects in the media than UDF.

Archiving is for data that never changes, and for this I use CD-R because it is cheaper, can't be accidentally erased, and may have a longer archival life than CD-RW. A perfect example of this are my downloaded add-ons for MS Train Simulator(I have accumulated about 10 GB of these over the last 18 months on 56K, believe it or not). I backup each day's downloads to a UDF CD-RW as well as to a second hard drive. When the amount in the current download folder reaches 700 or so MB I burn everyhing in that folder to a CD-R, start a new folder, and erase my backup CD-RW disk for the next batch of files. Actually, I need to use two UDF disks to be able to backup 700 MB of files, but the second one has space left for e-mail and the like. At any given time all of my downloads are in three places-once on each hard disk, and on either a UDF CD-RW or a CD-R. I do something similar for other data that never changes. Generally, I'll keep a few UDF disks handy to quickly backup things, and burn CD-RWs the regular way for less frequent backups. Anything that I know will never change goes to a CD-R once I have 700 MB of it, but not before since I hate not using *all* the space on a disk. I also tend to zip most files I put on CDs to save space. By compressing text and html you can easily get a few GB worth of files on a regular 700 MB disk. Images, especially .jpg and .gif, are generally not worth compressing.

I personally feel the disposal issue will eventually turn the tide in favor of CD-RWs, and then they'll start to improve and become more compatible. I would really like to see a CD-RW that could be read in the ancient 4X Teac drive in my 386-40. If that drive could read it, almost anything could.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
With compact flash selling for tens of dollars for 128 MB it doesn't seem like a viable replacement for floppies-yet. I'm sure at some future date solid state media will be dirt cheap like current CD-R disks but until that time I just don't see compact flash as a viable floppy replacement. One reason both Zip and LS-120 failed miserably in that role was the exorbitant price of the media, and cheap CD-R disks are pretty much the last nail in the coffin for both these formats. Despite CD-R(CD-RW) not being as easy to use or convenient as a floppy, it caught on by virtue of it's low cost per MB, and this despite the fact that CD-RW drives were far more expensive than Zip or LS-120 drives until very recently. If the media are dirt cheap, people will pay a premium for the drive and learn how to use it. If it's expensive, they won't, and that's why Zip/LS-120/Jazz/Orb and so forth were never universally popular, and also why most machines sold nowadays still have a 1.44 MB floppy drive.

As far as compact flash goes, if the price of the readers can be made under $30, and the price of the cards bought down to $1 or so for 256MB it will probably fill the role of floppy replacement very nicely, but I doubt this will happen anytime soon. As I said earlier, if someone can sell an IDE drive that reads and write standard floppies in both the regular 1.44 MB and new 32 MB formats, and do so for under $30, this will easily fill the role of floppy replacement until the price of flash cards drops to a dollar or two per GB. Most people already have loads of floppies. The new drive would be able to read and write standard floppies about 5 times faster than normal, and the 32 MB disks can achieve transfer rates up to about 500 KB/sec on the outer tracks if I remember correctly. Not super fast, but then neither is compact flash. Frankly, I wish we could do away with all this spinning media crap, including hard drives, right now, but that's probably at least a decade away.

Mercutio

I wouldn't give up one of my precious IDE channels for some asstastic floppy-like MO drive. Now, maybe if extra ATAPI-compatible channels were put onto motherboards, it'd be feasible, but not if I have the choice between 120GB of fixed storage and a 200MB removable.

jtr, one of the big advantages of CF is that it is very scalable. I can buy an 8MB card for $7 or so at the corner drugstore. 8MB is five and a half floppy disks - a very useful size IMO (I have lots of 2.5MB wordperfect documents but very few over 4MB) - but if my storage needs were to increase, I could buy CF (not Microdrive) cards as large as 512MB. If I had to guess, I'd say that the price of those 8 and 16MB cards would drop precariously if CF readers became more-or-less standard equipment on PCs, just like the price of 1.44MB floppies did (remember when those were $4 apiece, or when blank CD-Rs cost $25?). Media prices drop when a device reaches critical mass. Zip and LS-120 never got there.

I can go to Circuit City right now, today, and buy an external USB "universal" reader (CF, SM, MS, SD) for $30. I can buy an 8MB card for $7. I think we're ready.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Believe me, I wish CF were near universal right now. I hate spinning media, especially anything susceptible to magnetic fields. I just think the reason more people haven't bought into it is because after seeing all the so-called floppy replacements fail, they've become jaded and are not willing to invest their money in what might potentially be another going nowhere technology where they're stuck with a drive that they can't buy media for in a couple of years. It would be great if motherboards had a dedicated CF reader channel just like they have a floppy controller so that all new machines can have internal CF readers. An external USB reader is wonderful if all your machines have USB ports. Only one of mine does. I can add them to my P200 with an add-in card, but all bets are off for anything that doesn't have PCI slots since I haven't seen any USB ISA cards.

BTW, do CF readers exist for IDE ports? That would certainly make it a little more universal. Truth is I haven't researched the subject much because I perceived CF as yet another proprietary, expensive, going nowhere solution. Sure, eventually solid state storage will come into it's own, but me(and most people) would rather adopt something after the standards have settled and the kinks have been worked out.

Another question-CF is scalable as you say but is there an inherent limit built into the current standard? If I were to get a CF reader, would I be limited to cards of 512MB, or would I be able to use multi GB cards on it also once they came out. I just don't want to invest in equipment that might be antiquated in a year or two. I personally think we're poised right on the brink of a breakthrough that will make CF cards as cheap as CD-Rs within 5 years, but I want to make sure the CF reader I buy today can read the 8 GB CF card I might be able to buy for a few dollars in 2005. If not, then I'll just wait a bit and stick with my floppies, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs. Sure, CF or something like it is coming, it's just a matter of what and when. Right now, the main use for CF seems to be transferring files that won't fit on a floppy between machines. The cards are just too small and pricey to even consider for backup. As an academic side note I have been able to format a standard 1.44 MB floppy to 4 MB by using a surplus 2.88 MB P/S2 drive and the 2M floppy formatting program I mentioned earlier. I wouldn't archive anything on those floppies, but they are great for tranferring files under 4 MB between machines if I don't feel like dealing with a UDF CD-RW.

I'm also thinking once faster non-volatile RAM reaches $1 or so per GB we'll kiss our mechanical hard drives goodbye, and probably our IDE and S-ATA channels as well. Internal storage will be built into the motherboard in the form of slots for non-volatile DIMMs, just like RAM is now. Want more storage? Just pop in another 64GB NVRAM module. 8)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The problem with using NVRAM as a method of main storage is that the write limitations are in the thousands vs a HDD which would probably have no problem with something in the hundreds of thousands or more.

IMO, Compact flash is already a proven standard. The cartridge and pinout design has been around for years in laptop use, and the memory technology has been around for awhile too.

The only thing left is for it to be integrated into PC's.

*I don't know what the limitations on CF is.. but I believe there are 16bit and 32bit interfaces, the 16bit operating very much like ISA, and the 32bit operating at the PCI speed specs.

The largest CF I have seen (not the microdrive) was a review on 3GB CF cards.

Mercutio

.. and that's another limitation of CD-RW, too. Discs become unwritable after a few thousand writes (early discs were 100s, new ones are supposed to be some four-digit number of writes).

Yes, there are IDE CF readers, just as there are IDE PCMCIA readers. They're both highly uncommon.

What I think would be great would be a 3.5" bay with a couple of audio inputs, a USB port or two, and a CF reader. And a firewire port, as long as I'm wishing.

But first someone needs to slap the motherboard makers and convince them to standardize their USB/firewire pinouts, and to offer usable front audio options. Oh, and build a standard interface for CF (Gigabyte boards now have Smart Card reader interfaces on board. I've never seen a device to attach to one, though).

SteveC

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
What I think would be great would be a 3.5" bay with a couple of audio inputs, a USB port or two, and a CF reader. And a firewire port, as long as I'm wishing.

But first someone needs to slap the motherboard makers and convince them to standardize their USB/firewire pinouts, and to offer usable front audio options. Oh, and build a standard interface for CF (Gigabyte boards now have Smart Card reader interfaces on board. I've never seen a device to attach to one, though).
That sounds just like the Abit Media XP, but unfortunately it only works with certain Abit boards, and it's way too expensive ($65.00 at Newegg). I definitely agree with you that MB makers should come up with a standard, which would significantly lower the price. Right now, I think they would rather keep it proprietary so you would have to buy their drive bay. However, in the long run, it will probably be better to come up with one standard, since it would be cheaper not only for consumers, but also for them to manufacture.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
The problem with using NVRAM as a method of main storage is that the write limitations are in the thousands vs a HDD which would probably have no problem with something in the hundreds of thousands or more.

I assume this problem would be solved before we started using NVRAM for long-term storage. :wink:

Since Mercutio expressed his wish list I figured I might as well express mine. Motherboards with slots for NVRAM modules are near the top of my list. CF or something similar for removable storage would be nice as well.

From what I'm reading it seems there's still a way to go before CF becomes commonplace. As I said earlier, I think computer makers are reluctant to buy into a potentially going nowhere technology or it might already be more common. What we don't need are yet more proprietary solutions. I think people have had their fill of those. You should be able to buy a drive and have a reasonable expectation of getting media for that drive five or ten years down the road. What they need to do is standardize on an interface and media type, and then just build it into new PCs. And also make sure there's room for growth. Put some(for now) unused pins on the cards that can be used for addressing once the cards reach 8 GB, 32 GB, 128 GB, etc. I'm not looking for unlimited addressing, but some scheme that can address cards up to a TB or so should have us covered for at least the next decade.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I would think PC Card/PCMCIA (People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms) would be better than CF. Yes, CF is popular with many digital cameras, but PC Card slots are already in millions and millions of laptops.

I'd take Mercutio's wish list for a front panel device & replace the CF reader with 1 or 2 PC Card slots.

The PC Card format has more physical volume to hold components but is still small enough to be easily portable. It's already 32-bit with backwards compatability to 16 bit. It's hot-pluggable, standardized, and can be used for more than storage.

My 1GB Microdrive, a CFII device, came with a PC Card adapter so those who prefer CF media would still be supported.

What PC Card needs is a cheap storage media & to be integrated into non-laptop systems.

- Fushigi

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
I keep telling people: The answer to floppy replacement is a compactflash reader in every PC.
Yes, but how do you boot from one?

For a little more, USB Flash will work on any PC without a reader, and it's bloody good stuff. But it's still only bootable on newish PCs, and only if it's the right type (eg Transcend JetFlash).

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
time said:
Mercutio said:
I keep telling people: The answer to floppy replacement is a compactflash reader in every PC.
Yes, but how do you boot from one?

For a little more, USB Flash will work on any PC without a reader, and it's bloody good stuff. But it's still only bootable on newish PCs, and only if it's the right type (eg Transcend JetFlash).

What is it about Transcend that make it the right type? I wondered why my little thumb drive would not work.