• Total voters

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
. ..
steven_main.jpg

. ..

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Those commercials have to be the most annoying computer commercials since...will since ever. I hear they are going to start selling Dell Dude apparel now.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
LOL. I remember the guy when I saw a commercial back in August '01 when was in the USA for a trip.
In that "episode" he was working in a computer shop helping a high-school (or college) student with his mum select a Dell... dude!

I would like to have him tied up in a chair... and then practice some kick-boxing moves... right dude? :lol:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The guy's a complete moron but there are still commercials I find even more annoying than Dell's. The Windows XP commercials and AOL commercials are two examples(especially AOL). I also find most car commercials highly obnoxious. They take a ugly looking piece of junk that I wouldn't take even if it were free and make such a big fuss over it. Fortunately, I never watch network TV and usually do something else during commercials on cable stations in order to reduce my exposure to commercials to a healthy level. Boy, do I hate TV commercials!

Anyone interested in more of my rants on advertising just check out the advertising thread I started on SR in the B&G a while ago. I think it's still on the first page.

Hey dude, watch this! I'm turning off the TV every time your stupid commercial comes on. :lol: :mrgrn: :lol:

Handruin

Administrator
jtr1962 said:
Hey dude, watch this! I'm turning off the TV every time your stupid commercial comes on. :lol: :mrgrn: :lol:

Nice!
:aok:

Corvair

..··
jtr1962 said:
...and AOL commercials are two examples (especially AOL)...

Ever since America On hoLd and CNN were brought together (with Time / Warner), they flood CNN with AOL commercials. The commercial goes...

computer90.jpg
"AOL ! Oh, it's just the best!"

In reality, there are legions of newbies beating their desks with their fists screaming, "DAMN THAT BUSY SIGNAL ! ! !"

..··

cquinn

What is this storage?
I don't hate the Dell Guy, "Steve"

He's just an actor playing a part, and apparently doing a good enough
job that you all recall the commercials. That's what they are supposed
to do... for better or worse they still get name recognition out to the
mass market.
And I'd bet most of the members of this forum and
ones like it would not by a Dell, not because of the Dude on the
commercials, but because they would prefer to have even more flexibilty
in setting up their systems than Dell offers for their standard boxen.

These commercials remind me of the old "Joe Isuzu" spots that used to play years ago. Sometimes annoying, sometimes entertaining, but
always encouraging you to learn more about the product and company,
instead of just taking the ad at face value.

These commercials are not aimed at us, because we already know the
brand names and have our own opinion of the value of companies like
Dell. But computer companies need ways to market their stuff to the
Joe Shmoes, whose eyes tend to glaze over when they hear computer terms that are familiar to the rest of us.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
cquinn said:
He's just an actor playing a part, and apparently doing a good enough
job that you all recall the commercials. That's what they are supposed
to do... for better or worse they still get name recognition out to the
mass market.
NO! They should deny job offers like this... this will definitely destroy their career...

Man, imagine... the guy gets in a damn bar to have a beer and the bartender responds... "A Bud? Sure, DUDE!"... :lol:

Jeez.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Prof.Wizard said:
BTW, what exactly means "dude"?

It's American English, right?! :-?

The Slang definition applies today in American English. A dude is a fellow, or man; you could say pal, but it lacks the coolness of character that dude apparently has.

Platform

Prof.Wizard said:
BTW, what exactly means dude? It's American English, right?! :-?

It's without any doubt an American-English word, though I'm not sure of its etymology (ha! a Greek word) -- its origin. I suspect the word "dude" is rooted in the American west, meaning "cowboy" culture.

Since its probable usage was in the American west for some considerable amount of time, the term has somewhat recently broken out into the mainstream English language via some unknown (to me) pop culture mechanism. As is the usual case with the English language -- and *MOST* notably the American English language -- the word "dude" has simply transmogrified into something completely different.

I can tell you personally from growing up around American "surf culture" that "Hey Dude!" hasn't a friggin' thing to do with a "Dude Ranch," which is a place for city folk to go on a weekend to be a make-believe cowboy or cowgirl.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Just as a side note for anyone who cares: The English language (American linguistic branch included) is the world's #1 "second language" (trouncing French many decades ago for that title). But more importantly English has the largest diction -- or word count -- of any spoken language, and to top that off, English is growing *faster* than any other language. Fortunately, nearly any English speaker can communicate reasonably well with any other English speaker no matter what their native land is. Other languages tend to have worse problems about dailectism.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Platform said:
It's without any doubt an American-English word, though I'm not sure of its etymology (ha! a Greek word) -- its origin. I suspect the word "dude" is rooted in the American west, meaning "cowboy" culture.

Most people (well, amongst those that care) seem to agree that it is western (US) in nature.

Look here for one account:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/46/D0414600.html

Interestingly, I have a semi-decent dictionary here that claims the word "dude" is actually of German origin, meaning "fool". It was from that word that the term "dude ranch" originated (referring to people who attempted to develop a fake "cowboy persona"). But I'm not sure I really believe that explanation. Nor do I believe the occasionally offered (and often refuted) idea that Oscar Wilde created the word. A Google search for "origin word dude" turns up tons of websites offering many, many suggestions about where exactly the word came from.

Here's a page that seems to have some good information, and some refreshing honesty with respect to the uncertain origins of the word:

http://www.word-detective.com/back-k2.html#dude

I think out of all the explanations, that's the one I can believe comes closest to getting it right. Describing people based on how they look (or their clothing in this case) is pretty common throughout history - so I can easily imagine the word is linked in somehow with the older term "duds", referring to clothing.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Supposedly, he went to my high school and now attends NYU.

The fact that he graduated 8 years behind me means that I've never met him. That doesn't stop people from asking me whenever I'm installing a Dell computer at a company I don't work for though.

I actually like the commercial depicted in the photo. Well, I think it is cute. "Steve, Isn't this your dads car?" Certainly better than the previous "Steve" commercials.

I saw an print publication describe him as "Steven, the weasely....."

Maybe they should use Steve Irwin. They wouldn't even have to change his name.

BTW, in my head all Aussies talk like Steve Irwin.

Platform

Dude, You're Scaring Us
By John Morris & Josh Taylor

News last week that Dell had introduced a new merchandise line designed to capitalize on the popularity of their slacker pitchman (actual quote from a Dell official: "Consumers can't get enough of "Dude" so we've given them some stylish ways to express their enthusiasm ") got us thinking. Actually it just made us feel a little sick to our stomachs, but once we got over that we started thinking about similarly creative marketing ploys other tech companies could use to polish their images and increase revenues...

http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2866485,00.html

...nuff said.

Platform

Tannin said:
..Mind you, the fact that I don't watch TV probably helps.

Well, neither did I until recently. Other than the tiny bits here and there as I walk by a powered-up television set, I might watch 30 minutes up to 2 hours maximum per week these days.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Platform said:
Other than the tiny bits here and there as I walk by a powered-up television set, I might watch 30 minutes up to 2 hours maximum per week these days.

Sound like me. I'll listen to TV sometimes while I'm doing other things(like posting on SF and SR), but very little these days actually grabs my complete attention. That's a sad testament to the quality of programming nowadays. It's all the same garbage-inane sitcom, mindless action movie, mindless action movie with gratutitous sex scenes, celebrity gossip, Jerry Springer type show, etc.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The only thing I watch now is sport, and not much of that. In general only the very traditional sports that I played as a kid (cricket and football), and then only if circumstances are right - i.e., a test match, not that one day crap - or it's a Collingwood game. Also, only if I remember to switch it on and remember that there is a game today.

There are two other things that are worth watching on TV: test match rugby (I mean real rugby, rugby union, not that rugby league rubbish), and the (actually-only-small-part-of the) World Series baseball. But I hardly ever remember to switch it on.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't watch much actual TV. I'm too cheap to pay $50 for cable TV (or for an actual TV, for that matter). The building's TV antenna only gets Fox and sometimes one of Chicago's spanish channels (motto: Every TV show is better with a thong!).

Anyway, the only show I watch live is "Futurama". I don't even know if that's shown elsewhere in the world. I used to watch "The Simpsons", too, but I kind of gave up on that one this year.

Other than that, I really like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", which my brother tapes for me (er, for himself, but I borrow them), and lately a show that's on cable somewhere, "The Shield" (ditto).

So that's about 2.5 hours a week. I'd probably watch the news if I got a station besides Fox.

Mostly I content myself with NetFlix and some specialty mailorder DVD services. TV is basically boring and stupid.

Platform

James said:
Also helpful is that the ad isn't shown in Australia.

Well, all I can say is that it's time for you to once again be thankful the great expanses of ocean between your island/continent/territory and the USA. Unfortunately, Canada is probably being bombarded with "Dude."

Platform

ewwwww.... Just in time to experience the height of the local (Boca Raton, Florida) "dude" season!

Well, at least those will be "real" dudes out there -- the ones shooting the curls and dodging the sharks that is. Should be some dudettes around as well.

...be thankful FOR the great expanses...