Linux newbie can't install Mandrake 9.0

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
For the umpteenth time.

I'm trying to install in VMWare 4.0, from my Lite-on 16x DVD-ROM drive (which has worked flawlessly so far). Virtual m/cs in VMware use the BX chipset (which is what my real m/c is anyway!).

I first downloaded the .iso files from an unofficial mirror (which I found on Linuxiso.org). MD5 sums matched perfectly. When these problems cropped up, I downloaded again, this time from an official Mandrake mirror, checked the MD5s, burned the CDs extra slow (24x on 40x media on a 48x burner with burn-proof). Same thing.

I even stopped overclocking (from 112 MHz bus to 100 - he he); let VMWare pick the defaults for virtual m/c config (256MB RAM, 4GB HDD).

In the initial package selection window, I even tried saying minimal, with X system and basic documentation. Same thing.

I tried manually selecting minimal packages. Same thing.

It's always the same error. Finishes copying stuff from the CD, then pops up a series of windows with these messages:

Code:
There was an error installing packages: yudit-2.6.2-3mdk.i586
Go on anyway? Yes/No

There was an error installing packages: zsh-4.0.6-2mdk.i586
Go on anyway? Yes/No

There was an error installing packages: zsh-doc-4.0.6-2mdk.i586
Go on anyway? Yes/No

An error occurred. Some important packages didn't get installed properly. Either your cdrom drive or your cdrom is defective. Check the cdrom on an installed computer using "rpm -qpl Mandrake/RPMS/*.rpm"
OK
For each window, I answer Yes (go on anyway). After the last window, the installer loops back to asking which CD-ROMs I have, so it can display the appropriate packages to select for installation.

TIA for any suggestions.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Gosh! I didn't know I could do that, zx! If I did, I would have tried that for sure. Lol, one learns something new everyday!

Thanks, pal!

In a side note, I installed FreeBSD 4.8 late last night in a VM, and boy, is that sucker fast! I had to pretty much short-cut the install (had to shut down), but will try a proper install later.