Looking for an App thread

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi All,

I thought I might start a looking for this type of app thread, for those of us that don't seem to have the google-fu working.

I'm looking for a free world map application and supports zooming and possibly searching by city and has some country facts attached, that doesn't show ads. (The last 3 I tried all had adult related ads displayed, despite being educational apps targeted at pre-teen ages).

Platform: Toshiba 7" tablet running Android 3.2 (Honeycomb).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Most of the time, the way to get rid of ads is to pay for something or root your device and use a hosts file.

I use the crap out of hosts files. :D

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm looking for a better keyboard. It is currently using Swyped, but I want a delete key or ability for custom configuration. Is that too much to ask?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
My daughter and I have tried several keyboard apps, including SwiftKey, but have both independently ended up with Smart Keyboard. It's just way more customizable. We're both currently using the Compact Portrait mode (she found the option), which is similar to the layout on a Blackberry Pearl. It's particularly helpful on a smaller phone like mine (3.2").

Unfortunately, it doesn't have Swype, if you're a fan like Ddrueding.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Podcast apps.

I must agree this is about the worst app I have seen come out of apple yet, and when it was(is) integrated into the music app it wasn't even this good.
http://buzzingpixel.com/article/2012/06/podcasts

I rather like instacast but the transition to the new version was beyond rough, downcast is mentioned to be really good too.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Never used DLNA, sorry. I do see a small selection of these apps when I search for DLNA in the app store on my ipad. I am also going to guess that the iOS app storage containerization are going to make these things less useful than you might think. Apple's answer to this is the apple TV via airplay.

Mercutio

Actually, what appears to be the bigger issue is that the vast majority of videos I've tried to stream don't conform to something that wants to display on an ipad's screen and thus error out. I used Handbrake to resize some videos to the proper dimensions for an ipad and those stream just fine. I'm not sure if it's the client or the server that's responsible for resizing video to display on the client device, but since this crap works on all the other stuff I have and not on my ipad, I'm guessing it's another case of icraps being retarded.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are those oegr vudes or something else? Maybe Apple is expecting more normal users that frequent the you tubes, iTunes, etc.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think it's more of a codec thing, apples support is somewhat narrow so they can get the most out of hardware decoding and get that battery life. Some apps like VLC before they killed it will allow for software decoding of other media.

Handbrake is pretty popular over there.

Mercutio

Are those oegr vudes or something else? Maybe Apple is expecting more normal users that frequent the you tubes, iTunes, etc.

DLNA is a widely supported standard for streaming media content. It's baked in to TVs and Bluray players now, so it would make sense that it works right on icraps.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
But then they wouldn't sell apple TV things and you might be moving out of their itunes store for content, so where is the incentive to make that work?