Looking for Forum Modifications feedback.

Handruin

Administrator
I've come across an extensive list of modifications to the forum. I have a few ideas in mind, but I'd like to hear your interests. If there is a large majority that would like a perticular mod installed to the forum, I would like to do so.

A large list with descriptions can be seen here: http://www.oasisforum.valcato.net/phpbb/mods.php
(This link is using all the mods in the list. )

There are other mods to be seen here: http://phpbbfm.streetpromos.com/official_fm/

I personally do not care to install as many mods as these people have. :) But I'd like to enhance the board with some features that make sense, and would be considered useful. We do not have any modifications install to-date, for those who are curious.

Many of the mods come with certification to work correctly with phpbb2, as you may find links to their site.

Let me know, and I'll see what I can work out.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I'm looking through these, and perhaps: "Show End of Vote 0.1.0" would help if we generate more polls to populate some of our FAQ section.

"Fast and Furious Hack (phpBB2) 1.0" sounds good if it really speeds up our forum. Would "ChatBox v1.18b" be useful? Oooh, "Tetris Game V.Alpha", that would make us stay longer on the site and use up more bandwidth.

I like "Font Face BBCode BETA." It would be nice to change the font style once in a while when highlighting something.

Handruin

Administrator
On the main forum page, there is a "Mark all forums read".

It is not the easiest item to notice, but it is there.

forumread.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
I'm looking through these, and perhaps: "Show End of Vote 0.1.0" would help if we generate more polls to populate some of our FAQ section.

"Fast and Furious Hack (phpBB2) 1.0" sounds good if it really speeds up our forum. Would "ChatBox v1.18b" be useful? Oooh, "Tetris Game V.Alpha", that would make us stay longer on the site and use up more bandwidth.

I like "Font Face BBCode BETA." It would be nice to change the font style once in a while when highlighting something.

The "show end of vote" is a good idea. I'll add it to the list.

"Fast and Furious" hack looks rather old. I read that it made during beta 2 of phpBB2. I haven't heard of this one before, but I'll keep looking to see if it is worth using.

Regarding the font face. There are many options for highlighting and customizing text, just nothing to change the font face. My only concern would be that the forum would look odd if everyone chose their own font while posting. I don't think it would be a big deal, just soething to think about. But you are right, it would be nice to change the style once in a while.

Handruin

Administrator
I forgot to add that there is a different chat program in the works that will authenticate on the phpBB2 database. This way only registered forum members can chat using their registered name.

I have the script to implement this and will be doing so to the new site. As for tetris, sure what the hell, why not.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Align Text 2.0.0
This creates a new BBCode, '[align=center]your_code[/align]'. It simply takes the code and aligns it left, right or center depending what you specify

I like this one. Would be very handy.

And we multiple types will really benefit from the "mark all topics read" thingo. We couldn't find it either.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Is there one to change the delay between posting and re-viewing the thread? I am talking about the page that pops up saying "you have posted sucessfully, click here to return to the forum" or something like that. In fact, it would be better if it wasn't there at all, just took you straight back to the thread, but a shorter delay would be a step in the right direction.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
If it can be done, I would like the ability to edit posts for a limited time(say 10 minutes) after initially posting. This is mainly to correct grammatical and spelling errors that you only seem to notice right after you hit the submit button.

Handruin

Administrator
jtr1962 said:
If it can be done, I would like the ability to edit posts for a limited time(say 10 minutes) after initially posting. This is mainly to correct grammatical and spelling errors that you only seem to notice right after you hit the submit button.

That feature does exsits, but it's a matter of how others feel about this option. I would think 10 minutes to be too long, but perhaps 1 to 2 minutes for editing before it is disabled.

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
Is there one to change the delay between posting and re-viewing the thread? I am talking about the page that pops up saying "you have posted sucessfully, click here to return to the forum" or something like that. In fact, it would be better if it wasn't there at all, just took you straight back to the thread, but a shorter delay would be a step in the right direction.

I'll see if I can find the meta tags which cause the redirect back to the forum. Maybe I can edit it to 1-2 seconds so that it takes you back to your post.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
is there an option to do preformatted text? without using the code tag?

code tag:
Code:
Drive        max STR        min STR
wd1200bb       54000          32000
120gxp         60000          40000
spinpoint       3000           2000

plain:

Drive max STR min STR
wd1200bb 54000 32000
120gxp 60000 40000
spinpoint 3000 2000

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Handruin said:
jtr1962 said:

That feature does exsits, but it's a matter of how others feel about this option. I would think 10 minutes to be too long, but perhaps 1 to 2 minutes for editing before it is disabled.

i think that's a great idea and think 2 mins is more than enough.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I posted this before but the board ate my post. Two minutes ain't anywhere near enough. Do you guys even realise how long it take to load a page on dial-up, or over trans-Pacific cable? It can take damn near two minutes to (a) post the post, (b) load the "you have posted" page, and (c) load the revised-with-new-post page, never mind it being long enough to read the thing over and see your error. And dial-up users don't sit there staring at a blank screen for two minutes while they wait for the page to load (who is that dumb?) - no, dial-up users flick out to another window and come back a little later. The ten minute suggestion is much more reasonable, or at the very least five.

Two minutes is useles. I'd rather have none. Then at least everyone is equal.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't realize the load times were that bad...

I figured 10 minutes might be too long in the event that 1 or more people post a reply, were 10 minutes later the posted can change his/her mind.

This gets into that gray area, and almost seems better to not even mess with the limited editing capabilities because it may cause confusion.

How does everyone feel about 10 minutes? I would like everyone to reply to this if possible so if this mod is a priority, perhaps a poll should be made?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm pretty sure I have the slowest normal-use connection here (650ms ping to sf.net), and for a coupe of short-ish posts in a row *I* can hit the "You can't post again so soon" limit. Load times aren't that bad.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i'd like to request a minor enhancement Handruin. can you make the 'Mark all topics read' return us back to the main forums page? as it is now, it pops you back to the forum that your currently in, and presumably most people are marking all as read because they're finished in reading in that particular forum.

it's no biggie, it's just a minor annoyance of mine.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Will it ever be possible to change the font size of the whole page (ie with IE text size option?) My poor eyes get a bit tired looking at this site on a 15" UXGA screen :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
In Mozilla: View > Text Zoom > 120%

In IE: View > Text Size > Larger

It take a bit of patience to get used to the extra scrolling, but it does help with the eyestrain.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I found out that one of the parts to mozilla when installing is the option of a special mozilla font package for linux users. It makes everything the right size.... no more teeny weenie text.

I also set the minimum font size in the options to 12.