Microsoft Messenger problem

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Hello everyone,

I have searched these forums and could not find a solution to this Microsoft Messenger problem I am encountering.
I reformatted my computer and installed WinXP + SP1 with all the updates from Microsoft WindowsUpdates. I only use Messenger occasionally. So I deselect "Automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows" and "Allow automatic sign in when connected to the internet". I have OutlookXP but I have deselected the "Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook".
So I thought I was safe because everytime I boot up my computer, I do not see any Messenger icon on the taskbar. Then Messenger messages would pop up on my taskbar saying "so and so" (name withheld but this person is one of my allowed contacts I had in my Messenger) has logged in the internet. This must definitely mean Messenger is running in the background, and I do not want that. Is there any way to disable Messenger running in the backgorund other than totally removing it?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advise.

Cheers,
Edward

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You can take it out completely with msconfig, and de-install it (sorta) by killing the appropriate registry key. I'll check which key when I get to work and to an XP machine.

Handruin

Administrator
I was going to mention that the add/remove panel will completely wipe away (so I thought) MSN once you have SP1 installed (which you do) but you mentioned that you use MSN occasionally.

I removed mine using the add/remove panel and I no longer encounter this application starting. You could try using trillian to manage your MSN and remove the microsoft messanger. It works good for me and it's free if you don't buy the pro version.

EdwardK

Thank you Merc and Doug for your very quick help and advise.
I did try to go to Control Panel to uninstall Messenger but it was not listed :?: Then I started Messenger and found that it was version 4.7 (I might be totally wrong here but is version 4.7 bundled with WinXP?)
I had a look at the Trillian website and it looks very promising - might give it a try.
Thank you again for all your help.
Its time to bed for me :oops:
Cheers,
Edward

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Another possibility is to uncheck it from the Windows component list that is accessed through the add/remove programs applet. First, however, you may need to edit your sysoc.inf file (C:\WINDOWS\inf) so that it reads as:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

instead of

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

after editing that line a reboot might be neccesary before the MSN messenger item shows up in the component list

The freeware program XP-AntiSpy can completely remove MSN Messenger.

The registry key where it hides for firing up automatically will be one of these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

--Steve

EdwardK

Did not even think to look in the Windows Component, Doh! :oops:
I will do all what you guys suggest when I get home today.
Thanks again for all your help.
Cheers,
Edward

Handruin

Administrator
blakerwry said:
it is located under windows components (because we all know what an integral part of windows it is, right?)

Ah yes, sorry I did not mention this in my last post. The option to uninstall MSN is new, once you install SP1.