Move boot manager

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey Gang,
Now that I got a video camera and desperately need the storage space, I bought a 2 TB drive. I figured I could now uninstall my very old WD 200JB. The only problem is that my boot manager seems to reside on this disk. Right now I only boot Windows 7, and I keep copies on two hard drives (yes, I'm paranoid, if one install dies I want to have the other ready to go). I tried using the Startup Repair option after booting from my Windows 7 CD (with the old HD disconnected), but it didn't work. After I re-installed the old drive and re-ran the Startup Repair utility it didn't detect any Windows partitions. There has to be a relatively easy, safe way of doing this. Can somebody help me out?
Thanks,
Adcadet

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I ran into that problem a couple of times. During the beta testing of Win 7, MS acknowleged that the repair feature would not repair the boot partition.

Even copying the partition to the new hard drive wouldn't work. The boot hard drive is drive '0' and the boot manager is directing the computer to load from drive '1'. When you remove the boot hard drive, the Win 7 hard drive becomes drive '0'.

Best bet is to try Google. Maybe someone has come up with a method to repair this problem.

Now, whenever I install Win 7, I make sure that there is only one hard drive in the system.