MS Word - Can't open old docs

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm on Office Pro 2010. I have some old Word docs created in 1997 and later - various versions of Word. I cannot open any of them; I get a pop-up Window as follows:

At the top of the window, in gray background (cannot copy to paste here) it says:

You are attempting to open a file type (Word 2 and earlier Binary Documents and Templates) that has been blocked by your File Block settings in the Trust Center

This error occurs when you open a Microsoft Office file type blocked by File Block settings in the Trust Center. To enable this file type, do the following:

Click the File tab.
Under Help, click Options.
Click Trust Center, and then click Trust Center Settings.
In the Trust Center, click File Block Settings.

To save documents with this file type, disable the registry policy setting. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922850.

I've gone into the File Block settings and checked (enabled) every single box there, but still get this pop-up. Any ideas? TIA.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Duh.

One is supposed to uncheck, not check the boxes. Some were checked by default, and I checked them all, thinking only the later file types were enabled. After unchecking them all, can open the files. Sorry for the hair-trigger.