Video: Leadtek Geforce4 Ti4600 WinFast A250 Ultra TD
Sound: SoundBlaster PCI 128
LAN: Realtek 8139B 10/100 NIC Adapter

a few pics can be found here: http://members.optushome.com.au/v8gent/pc

$1650 (au of course)

eastern suburbs, Melbourne. will deliver locally

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
nothing bad.. just making room. i pretty much built it for bragging rights and now i don’t need it. i decided to rid myself of all PC's (i still have a lappy) and build one nice but simple P4, 100gb rig. this is all i need, i don't play games and occasionally do some basic video work. i spend most of my time working websites.

i'm not interested in making money on it as you can tell by the price, it's about $1000 less than new price and it's comprised of quality parts 3-6 months in age.

forgot to add - comes with a Topower 400W PSU.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Ha! I suspected you were going over to the dark side. :p

I take it your video work benefits from a P4? Handy to know if that's the case.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
To make myself feel better, I must tell you that I picked up a Lexmark Optra S 1650 16ppm printer with 10/100 LAN for about AUS$300 :p Now I just have to win a 17,000 page toner cartridge.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
great. thanks Tea. if you can give me a few days to get organised then i'll get it done. i fisrt have to find a suitable box to cart it all in as Jake the acutal Dog thought the box my case came in was for his tear-it-apart-and-eat-it-pleasure.

are you happy to trust Star Couriers to handle it with care. the side window is plexi not actual glass. never mind, i'll bubble wrap it :)

oh and i'll also send you the receipts i have too (mostly from BBF and FINN Computers) so you can resell with confidence if you so wish.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cool.

My pleasure Jake. Any time you want to sell more stuff for less than the going rate, just sing out! You don't have to ask twice. I'll probably resell most of it, except for the CPU, which might as well go home, as I'm still runing an 1800+ Essentially, I just added up what I'd pay to buy 4 x 40GB drives, 512MB of RAM, a couple of optical drives, 14lbs of used packing tape, a Ti4600, and so on, and seeing as it added up to a fair bit more than you were asking, went with it.

Star manage not to break stuff most of the time. The main rule of good packaging is to make sure that the items inside the carton are firm and can't bounce about. You don't actually need much packing around things, just so long as they are firmly located within the box.

As for Jake (the original woof and wag tail type Jake, I mean), well I'm sure he enjoyed it. In my experience, the recipe 1 dog + 1 large cardboard box = 17,485,309 small bits of cardboard and lots of fun!

James

Storage is cool
Pradeep said:
To make myself feel better, I must tell you that I picked up a Lexmark Optra S 1650 16ppm printer with 10/100 LAN for about AUS$300 :p Now I just have to win a 17,000 page toner cartridge.
:mrgrn: Oh yeah? I got a Lexmark Optra S 2455 24ppm printer with the LAN card and 20MB of RAM for AUD240, including a partially full 14K toner cartridge. And less than 80,000 pages on it (monthly duty cycle is 100K pages...).

I also just bought 4 Intel Pro 100/B LAN cards for AUD10 each, plus AUD8 shipping. That was a good deal!

I recently bought a slimline Compaq (say what you like about them, but their case is very nicely designed, and they're quiet) - PII 350, 64MB RAM, 6.4GB HD, LAN port and onboard sound and graphics, for AUD150. It's started life as my new FreeBSD-based Samba server downstairs already, a good step up from the P166 I replaced.

I'm still not entirely sure how I stopped myself from buying 4 large boxes full of Fujitsu Stylistic 500s and 1000s (industrial version, so monochrome, 16MB RAM, and 486DX2s and 5x86s for the most part) - surely I would have had some use for about 150 touchscreen computers? Oh yeah, the boxes were AUD35 each. Hmmm.

Auctions are a terrible trap! :wink:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
James said:
Pradeep said:
:mrgrn: Oh yeah? I got a Lexmark Optra S 2455 24ppm printer with the LAN card and 20MB of RAM for AUD240, including a partially full 14K toner cartridge. And less than 80,000 pages on it (monthly duty cycle is 100K pages...).

Bastard! But does yours have the duplexer option? :p Mine has only 12MB tho. Right now the toner cart looks like it's going to cost me more than the printer lol.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can top you all.

Textronix Phaser 850DP (duplex option + 100Mbit, and folks, this is solid ink, not crummy color laser), US$450.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
I can top you all.

Textronix Phaser 850DP (duplex option + 100Mbit, and folks, this is solid ink, not crummy color laser), US$450.

Ha! Heidelberg 52 - solid ink (of course, probably VanSon or Toyo) and it will use any color I put on there!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Well, the bits seem to be mostly gone now.

The Barracuda ATA drives went first, as did one of the Maxtors. (I'm sort of intending to repossess my camera from Belinda and take the other Maxtor's picture before I sell it.) The CD drive has gone, but I have to fiddle around to find out where I put the Nero that works with the LG burner. The HSF fell off during shipping and bounced around a bit (those damn Thermaltakes should never, ever have been manufactured with just a single clip, they are way too heavy for that) and cracked the perspex, but no matter, I sold the case anyway. The new owner loves it. (So he should: an XP 1900 after a 6x86-150 with 32MB is quite a step!) Being greedy, I snaffled the PSU out of it and replaced it with a lesser one. I'll save the Top-power for something special. What else was there? CPU: that went almost right away, it's in a Soltek SL-75KAV5 now and working fine. Eeeek! Crappy-brand RAM! But it seemed to work OK so we sold it and it hasn't come back, so that was OK. The motherboard, alas, is dead as a doornail. Can you send me the info I need to RMA it please Jake?

David (AKA Mutiah, see the Folding @ Home stats) snaffled the Leadtel Ti 4600 in a flash (which was no surprise to anyone) and I currently have David's old Hercules Gforce III Ti200 as a trade-in. I'm keeping it to give to Michael (aka the Soup_Nazi) for his birthday. Seeing as he hardly ever reads Storage Forum, I guess the secret is safe.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
oh no! please accept my apolagies Tea :( i did think about the taking off the HSF but since it was so firmly attached i figured it was safe to leave on. i know i won't do that next time. i'm glad to hear everything else was OK.

the motherboard was purchased from FCS (Finn Cumputer Solutions) in Bayswater. all my receipts are currently at my accountant so i don't have them with men however i will get to them asap. i believe Nick (from FCS) got it in from CASSA. have you dealt with CASSA before?

i was dubious about that RAM too and in fact originally i insisted on another brand. they suggested i take it home and throw any test i could think of at it, so i did and found that it's not bad at all. i was quite impressed with it's really. they've been selling that RAM for 12 months and tell me they've had no problems at all.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No hurry, Jake. Right now we have much bigger RMA problem (more of this in another thread shortly). Those big muvva heatsinks are seriously heavy! I don't think it did any particular harm, certainly there were no marks on the mainboard and the CPU was just fine. I think the video card took the brunt of any impacts, and being a hunk of solid alloy, it didn't even scratch.

I haven't dealt with either firm, I'm afraid. No matter, we will sort it out in due course. As for that RAM, as soon as I saw the brand I went "eek!" but it works perfectly. We had some of that same brand a while back - PC-133 I think it was - and it was crap. We got rid of it all in the end, but had to do the old switcheroonie quite a bit. (Try it in this board, try it in that board, eventually you hit on a combo that works.) But the 512 DDR just worked: no fuss, no bother.

Time to go and write up my real RMA problem.