Need Bootvis.exe

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Halp - can't find it anywhere. MS has pulled it off their site. It'll be used on an AMD system, so no worries about the reasons MS pulled it (P4 Hyperthreading issues).

PM as an attachment if it'll be more convenient.

Thanks!

SteveC

Storage is cool
I have it, but you can't send attachments in a PM. Do you want me to email it to you? The file is 968KB.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Found a couple of copies, one in the English speaking world and one on a .de site. Don't know how legit they are. I'll play with them and see.

Thanks.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Aah, Steve, we posted at the same time! Yes, please email it to macharya1 is-at yahoo.com. Thanks!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Naw, I wanted the old version. I run 2k, not XP, but am setting up an XP notebook for a relative. I realized I didn't have bootvis; never needed it till now.

There were apparently issues with P4-Hyperthreading and bootvis, so MS pulled it and released a new version. Then They pullled that too... :eek:

Since the notebook has a mobile AMD proc, I didn't care about the version.

A hundred thanks to Steve for the near instantaneous response to my call for help! :D

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Umm ... what does bootvis do?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Optimizes the boot process to minimize boot time. Works only with Win XP.

As it is, XP boots a lot faster than W2k. When you bootvis it, you shave more seconds off. YMMV - for some the savings is 5 seconds, for some 15. In my case, I was setting up a notebook, with an already slow disk drive, so it was important to eke out every improvement I could.

These same people have a desktop that I set up a couple of years ago. I never bootvissed it, but it still amazes me with its incredibly short boot time. I'm going to see if what bootvis can do for it - probably not much.

Most folks here will shake their heads in disgust at all this because they never turn off their machines. I do, everyday, for various reasons.

And please, can you change your avatar? If you don't I'll never talk to you again. :(

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
bootvis has always shaved off 10% or more for me... I've gotten my boot time to ~6-8 seconds on my shuttle box before i linuxed it. LOL, my Soyo dragon+ was still doing the POST beeps by the time the shuttle box was openning windows.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
mubs said:
And please, can you change your avatar? If you don't I'll never talk to you again. :(

Huh? :eekers:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
i's eye icon is freaking mubs out. I don't blame him. Eye-things creep me out, too. Someone even talking about contacts is enough to make my eyes water.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Speaking of which, i's eye looks like it has a contact in it.
contact contact contact contact bwahahaa

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
*lol*

I didn't expect to laugh that hard this morning. Thanks. :)

In the interest of preserving the peace, I'll see if I can find an alternate eyec ... errr ... icon.

For the record, it's not a self-portrait. Actually, I believe ... brace yourselves ... it's an Australian eyeball.