news forum section?

Handruin

Administrator
After having a quick chat with Cliptin regarding his concern for duplicate discussion of news on the front page, I suggested having a separate section in the forum for news related items. He expressed that the news is mainly computer oriented and therefore may not need a dedicated section.

Cliptin suggested we integrate the comments of the news so that we don't have duplicate discussions on the front page. His thought was to have a button in a new topic post that would enable a thread to be used as front-page news.

Since this level of integration is above my current knowledge of phpbb, I then suggested linking the discussion to a forum thread so that we keep it all in the forum.

First, would people like to see the news discussion brought to the forum?

Second, if the discussion were moved to the forum, would you like to see the news discussion in a new forum section?

Third, or would you rather have the news discussion posted in the computer section with the title marked with something like [News] - Topic title here?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Handruin said:
First, would people like to see the news discussion brought to the forum?

Second, if the discussion were moved to the forum, would you like to see the news discussion in a new forum section?

Third, or would you rather have the news discussion posted in the computer section with the title marked with something like [News] - Topic title here?
Third sounds good to me.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I like (3) the best, but (2) would be just fine also. It would be nice to see the news more integrated with the forums - to my shame, I miss most of it.

Speaking of news, is the war over yet?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Would it make any sense to integrate a special section on our frontpage that only displayed official release announcements? Or should we not get too involved with current events and leave those type of things up to the big boys like the INQ and Xbit?

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
Would it make any sense to integrate a special section on our frontpage that only displayed official release announcements? Or should we not get too involved with current events and leave those type of things up to the big boys like the INQ and Xbit?

That doesn't sound too hard. Can you give me an example of what items would be displayed? Were you thinking general computer related news, or specific to storage? (or both) We can try it if you want.

I'm also going to test out the new news option with your recent submission.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The new news submission integrated into the forum looks good Handy. As far as the idea I had, I was thinking of any official announcement from a manufacturer. Let's see what others say about this brain storm of mine.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Looks good, Doug.

Buck, would the announcements be limited to storage companies, or would it include other companies, like Intel, AMD, etc?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
SteveC said:
Looks good, Doug.

Buck, would the announcements be limited to storage companies, or would it include other companies, like Intel, AMD, etc?

I think that it should include another hardware manufacturers, since new storage stuff doesn't come around too often.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
I have always felt from Day One (Jan 2002) that the root (" / ") of www dot storageforum dot net should simply open to the pHpBB Forums, where there would a forum titled "NEWS" that we can post *news* messages in, along with the forums titled "Computers," "Tech Support," "Feedback," etc.

...But, these are only my opinions.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
So as Herr Gary points out, we would have three Community Forums (the third being the News section) and then the three Off Topic Forums that we have now. That makes sense as everything used and visited most often would be in one central location.

Where or how would we setup a link for different download items?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
So as Herr Gary points out, we would have three Community Forums (the third being the News section) and then the three Off Topic Forums that we have now. That makes sense as everything used and visited most often would be in one central location.

Where or how would we setup a link for different download items?

How about this:

idea.jpg

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I like the News articles posted in our Computer Forum and the frontpage, however, if you click on the comments link on the frontpage, it takes you to the comments section there. How about linking that to the thread related to that news article in our Computer forum?

Handruin

Administrator
The two most recent news items had the coments enabled in the news configuration. I've since disabled comments for those posts leaving only the link to the forums.

If I were to replace that link, it would take a hefty bit of rewriting to ashnews. I'll see what I can do.

Handruin

Administrator
It took some work, but I'm happy to say the news system has been slightly modified (yet again) to incorporate the comments changes discussed here.

The news system has been permanently changed to use a URL for comments rather than using ashnews to manage them. I've created a section in the news admin for this URL to make Coug's and my life easier.

Since the news section was under surgery, I also added a field for news submitter. You may see some oddities with older news posts, but eventually the new ones will take over and we won't have to worry about it any longer.

Anyway...it's time for sleep.

:salut: