Noise while playing a DVD Video

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I hear much static noise from the speakers (even in Pause).
It's disturbing; I don't like it. Maybe it arises from the fact I have million devices and cables sprouting out of my box.

Can I do anything about it?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yup, probably.

Probable candidates include having lots of cables in a rat's nest under your desk, bad connection between speakers or speakers and sound card, using the analog audio cable between your DVD-ROM and sound card instead of the digital one, using analog cables between sound card and an exterior receiver, poorly shielded monitor...

Basically fixing it is mostly trial and error. Moving to digital-type inputs and outputs helps out a lot, though.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Try muting the line-in and mic-in on your sound card and see it that does anything. It could also be interference from some of the other wires. You could try unplugging most of them, leaving just the speakers and see if the static is still there.

Steve

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Get a real DVD player and a real receiver and you'll be set. Who wants to watch a DVD on a computer anyways?

Mercutio

You'll learn the answer to that question the day you get a digital projector. :)

And remember, XGA kicks the kicks the crap out of progressive scan any day of the week.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
timwhit said:
Get a real DVD player and a real receiver and you'll be set. Who wants to watch a DVD on a computer anyways?
Well, this isn't helping my purse and my current problem... :)

I'll try the rest of the solutions you said. Any other probable issues?!

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Prof.Wizard said:
I'll try the rest of the solutions you said. Any other probable issues?!

Crickets? :wink:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
You'll learn the answer to that question the day you get a digital projector. :)

And remember, XGA kicks the kicks the crap out of progressive scan any day of the week.

True, but surely it is interpolating a lot of that information? I mean it must be doing something to "fill in the gaps". HD-DVD can't come soon enough. Not to mention affordable LCD panels running at 1920*1200 :)

Mercutio

A PC at 1024x768 still looks better than a progressive scan @ 480P or 1080I. My presentation monitor handles progressive scan by my DVD player. It looks OK. But DVD through a PC looks better.

Computer monitors, or things that act like computer monitors, are ultimately just better displays than TVs. Even HDTVs.

Now, if only I could get a wide-format CRT...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
in a computer lab at school we have 24 wide format LCD displays.. the displays are made by Mitsubishi/NEC and are branded as SGI (silicon graphics)

too bad they are only equivalent to about a 16" LCD.... not really up to the task of watching a movie from across the room...