PC Chips RAM compatibility

time

Storage? I am Storage!
This is a topic from Hell (it involves PC Chips).

One of my suppliers has referred someone to us, so I'm trying to do my best by him. He has a P233 on an Amptron(?) 'BX Pro' motherboard (circa 1998), which runs Netware 3.11 satisfactorily. :eek: It purportedly has 4 SIMM and 2 DIMM slots (I can't find this particular model).

He wants to duplex a pair of 40GB drives, so he needs substantially more RAM than the 32 or 64MB he has at present.

He has already tried an off-the-shelf 128MB module, and it recognizes as 32MB. The motherboard manual claims the board will accept 128MB, and someone has suggested this would need to be double-sided. :(

The oldest SDRAM I can buy is 128MB 8-chip PC100. I have no idea if this will work. Does anyone else?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
time said:
This is a topic from Hell (it involves PC Chips).

One of my suppliers has referred someone to us, so I'm trying to do my best by him. He has a P233 on an Amptron(?) 'BX Pro' motherboard (circa 1998), which runs Netware 3.11 satisfactorily. :eek: It purportedly has 4 SIMM and 2 DIMM slots (I can't find this particular model).

He wants to duplex a pair of 40GB drives, so he needs substantially more RAM than the 32 or 64MB he has at present.

He has already tried an off-the-shelf 128MB module, and it recognizes as 32MB. The motherboard manual claims the board will accept 128MB, and someone has suggested this would need to be double-sided. :(

The oldest SDRAM I can buy is 128MB 8-chip PC100. I have no idea if this will work. Does anyone else?

http://www.crucial.com/store/ListModel.Asp?mfr=Amptron&cat=RAM

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've come to the conclusion that it must be a VX Pro or TX Pro rather than BX Pro.

In which case, thanks Blake, that confirms that Crucial doesn't support it.

I don't think I've ever even heard of anyone succeeding in using a 128MB DIMM with VX, let alone VX Pro? I had enough problems with the later TX boards as it is.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
He has already tried an off-the-shelf 128MB module, and it recognizes as 32MB. The motherboard manual claims the board will accept 128MB, and someone has suggested this would need to be double-sided.

I had a tyan board with 4 simm and 2 dimm. I think I had it up to 256MB. I had to use 128MB ram that had the chips stacked on the one side. It was taller than normal ram. I don't think it had chips on both sides. I don't really remember or have that ram around (though I have the board).