Problems Degragmenting with O&O

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have been using O&O for defragmenting my drives for at least a year and have had no problems with it. But all the drives that I was defragging were fat32. When I try to defrag an NTFS drive it says Insufficient Rights and will not even analyze the drive.

If anyone has any idea that would be great. BTW this is under 2K

-Tim

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Mayhap you should try running it from the Administrator account, rather than your personal user account.

Hold down shift, right click, Run As... type the Admin password, and you should have rights.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Mayhap you should try running it from the Administrator account, rather than your personal user account.

Hold down shift, right click, Run As... type the Admin password, and you should have rights.

Tried this but still same thing.

Handruin

Administrator
Is compression enabled? Or how about encryption? Just some thoughts...maybe this is why it won't work. Are there any applications using the drive at that time?

Mercutio

Did you format your drive with standard, 4k clusters?
And we're talking single disk, simple volume, right?

Does the built-in defragger work?

bahngeist

What is this storage?
A while back I had the exact same problem with Speed Disk; but at that time I was also fooling around with NTFS file & folder security. I got the app. to work by adding System to Systemwork's root file permissions list, and enabling the inherit permissions feature for the subfolders. You may want to try the same with O&O.

I suspect that you may well have already been aware of that fix; but since it's never wise to assume, I thought it best to offer the suggestion just in case you didn't.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Did you format your drive with standard, 4k clusters?
And we're talking single disk, simple volume, right?

Does the built-in defragger work?

No they are not standard 4k clusters....Damn, that never even crossed my mind that this could be the problem....

There is no compression or security enabled on any of the drives, so it has got to be the non-standard cluster size.

So now my question is: what defragmenter will work with non-standard cluster size?

BTW, Thanks for the quick help guys.

-Tim

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Will Rickards said:
Norton SpeedDisk. That is why I bought it.
Hmm that reminds me ... haven't defragged in a while....

I've heard from people in the past that their volumes were screwed up from using speedisk. I have used it a few times in the past on a 98 system, with no problems. Has anyone had any problems using speedisk (lost data, corrupted volumes)?

-Tim

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
timwhit said:
I've heard from people in the past that their volumes were screwed up from using speedisk. I have used it a few times in the past on a 98 system, with no problems. Has anyone had any problems using speedisk (lost data, corrupted volumes)?
No, but I'm strictly FAT32. I think most recent reports of problems have been related to NTFS.

- Fushigi

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Just so we are clear, it has never screwed up any of the 4 NTFS partitions I have. I also happen to have one the 75GXP that is still going strong... so maybe you'll call it luck ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Does anyone here use Speedisk to defragment non-4k cluster NTFS volumes often?

Don't want to bother "testing" it if it is just going to mess things up.

-Tim

Mercutio

The super-easy way to defrag a > 4k cluster drive is to ghost and restore the drive.

Of course, you need another drive big enough to hold your image file....

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
The super-easy way to defrag a > 4k cluster drive is to ghost and restore the drive.

Of course, you need another drive big enough to hold your image file....

Yes let me pull that out of my as....

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I installed Speedisk and it did a good job or deframenting all of my hard drives regardless of cluster size. Highly reccomended. Seems faster than O&O which is a plus.

-Tim