Prospective purpose of SF - Technology reviews

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have been noticing several threads that supply aprospective purpose and I wish to supply my own suggestion.

Rather than specificly reviewing products or review/reviewers how about specificly reviewing technologies. Answering questions like when is it appropiate to go from ATA-33 to ATA-100 or SCSI-160 vs SCSI-320; or what does a specific technology do and what benefits occur; How these technologies interelate to others like the PCI bus. At what point does a server benefit from multiple PCI buses? What are the different types of cache and what is the benefit. How does the OS, and disk caches inter-relate. There are an infinite number of possible questions that can be analyzed and answered.

After the analysis of the technologies then we can list specific products that supply those technologies and if we want to follow with reviews of specific products. However, regardless of the reviews, the focus should be on the technologies themselves. There is also the potential on articles on how the technologies have changes/progressed over time and how the technologies may change in the future.

There is potential here to do a public service helping answering difficult questions for people that don't know enough about the technologies but still have to make decisions about them. The real pont is to use the expertise that is here in a way that is distinct, valuable, and encourages others, of similar ilk, to visit and share their abilities, etc. and thus producing a very active community that is well stimulated.

I understand that potentially this is a very daunting task. However, that is what makes it valuable, unique, and fun.

Mark Turner