Quicken Backup ?

hannah

What is this storage?
I was looking into this "i b a c k u p.com/quicken" service as an alternative to Intuit’s Disk backup service. It has the ability to backup automatically with out any user intervention on every change or additions made to the files.

Any views about this service would be useful.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hi Hannah.

My first thought was "what a waste of money for something that one can for oneself with very little effort and close enough to zero knowledge or cost.

Then I thought about the number of otherwise intelligent people who come to me in near panic because their system has crashed and ... you guessed it .... they have no backups at all.

Yup. I'd never use it, nor (I imagine) would anyone here, but it could save a lot of people a lot of grief. I certainly have customers who ought to be using a service like that, because I know darn well that the alternative is no backups at all.

Oh, one other thing: by using that service, given the latest mania for destroying the last remaining civil liberty laws in the USA, you can be virtually certain that the FBI and the IRS will have full access to your accounts any time they want to. But I doin't think that's the problem it seems like on first sight: accounts are one area where the IRS and equivalent bodies have pretty much open access anyway, and have had for many years. But there is absolutely no way on earth I'd recommend that anyone use such a service for non-accounting records.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Pretty sure Hannah is one of the forum-spammer accounts like we've been seeing lately, Tannin. What with that being the second post relating to that online storage system she keeps linking to.

Not that your remarks aren't still accurate.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
There is also the ever present danger of trusting your confidential data to a third party for safe-keeping. With all the data/security breaches that even multi-billion dollor companies have experienced in the last year, and keeping with my high-level of paranoia, no way in hell am I going to trust somebody else with my data.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Why not remove the link and keep the post. Wouldn't want to lose one of Tannin's precious posts.

Handruin

Administrator
I edited the link until google has finished its index. All the freaks show up around that time to get their profile URL link in.

Sol

Storage is cool
I remeber once having a cusomer with a hard drive failure on the machine they used for all thier accounts. We got thier backup disks and started to restore data only to find out that they ha been backing up the completely wrong data for over a year. They had a couple of zip disks full of copys of one small program directory.

In the end we were able to recover most of the data off the hard drive and they spent a couple of days reentering records. But it turned out that not only did they not have backups, but thier entire backup solution wasn't even large enough to complete a single backup of the real data...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Well, I know that Merc highly recommends to all of his customers that they backup all of their critical data to one of WD's external drives.