Recovering my linux box

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Hey again. As you might have read my motherboard died and I am replacing it.

The old mobo was a slot A Athlon with a VIA kx133 chipset. The new one will be a socket A with a kt266 chipset.

Will I be able to simply put the new mobo and processor in this board and boot up just like before? or will I have to reinstall linux? or will I end up inbetween?

I was thinking that things like the USB controller might not work correctly considering that it was based on a different hardware design or atleast has a different model number associated with it.

Hows the plug n play detection in linux? I haven't tried to install hardware in linux for atleast a year or two.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Just plug the thing in and it should work.
If you don't automatically run kudzu at bootup, you can do it manually and let it configure as much as possible (everything basically...).

No reinstallations necessary with linux.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hehe... I did partition the hdd into 3 parts.

I'm not sure about what each partion does on account of me being a noob and using the wizard.... i know one partition is /home(about 75gb partition), another is swap(~250mb partition), and i believe the other one is the operating system (~5 gb partition)

So, if I do reinstall.... can I just format the 1st partition? and leave the /home alone (no pun intended)?

The only data that I really would have a need for are some videos that are uploaded to a users folder(about 26 ~150MB files)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Tea said:
No sympathy from me. A computer without a floppy drive is like a car without a spare type.

Yeah, I was being lazy.. i know.

I have 2 floppy drives laying around here (1 might be a 720k on account that it is an old dual 5" & 3.5" drive.

I just didnt want teh cables cluttering things up.

you guys use inches in Oz?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I do. But I'm old. I actually remember the day we introduced the metric system: 1st February 1966. It was my first day at school in Victoria. No no - that was decimal currency. We went metric a little later, about 1973 or '75 or so. So the young ones are all centimetric, while the old relics like me use an odd-ball mish-mash of metric and imperial units. Mostly, I like inches.

(None of which is the slightest help to you and your 'nix problem, alas.)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
awww dont worry about it, everything is running great. problem solved. To my surprise it was actually just as easy as The JoJo said it would be.

Tannin, what do you guys call the 5 and 3/4 inch drive bays? 14.5cm? or 5 and 3/4 inches? or just plain ol' Full size bays?