Small Size LCD TVs (up to 26").

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi Guys,

As would have it, our TV in my wife's and I bedroom is slowly dying (a 12yr old NEC 68cm CRT TV), and am trying to decide what to do.

The current plan is to replace our son's TV (51cm LG CRT), with a new 19-24" LCD, get our daughter the same TV, and we replace the 68cm CRT with our son's 51cm CRT. Basically, both kids get new LCD TVs, and we get his old 51cm TV. I'm also considering using the LCDs as secondary monitors for laptops in the future, but certainly something for the future.

All will be driven by DVD players only, as we already have them (and no plans to move to BR in the bedrooms for the time being, as we only just replaced 2x DVD players about 2 mths ago), and there is no requirement on 1080p for the new LCDs. Actually, the only 2 requirements are:
1. No more than AU$250 ea for the LCD TV.
2. Be able to be viewed from a 20-45 degree angle from *below* centre, as the TV's will be located on top of a 5ft high chest of draws and they should be able to view the TVs from their beds or from the floor below the TV.

Sound easy? It was easy to find cheap TVs in the right size, and in the right price. (Heck we even found 2x Sharp 22" LCDs (768p) for AU$150ea on sale, and 2x 22" Sanyo FullHD (1080p) for AU$180ea on sale). But, none of the TVs we saw on display could be viewed from 20 degrees below before the displays washed out and in some cases inverted colours. (Even a $400 24" Samsung and $350 22" Sony did the same).

So does anyone know of a TV that may fit the requirements?

The only one I've read online that can be viewed from below is a "Soniq" branded 23" TV (from JB HiFi for the Aussies here), but it get's poor ratings for crappy HD DVB tuner, crappy sound, and it comes with an integrated DVD player that break down quickly. (Known issues with that model).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
All will be driven by DVD players only

Assuming your DVD players have an HDMI output, you don't need a TV - you need a monitor. Which is good because AFAIK all TVs under 32" are TN panels and consequently complete crap.

If so, you should run, not walk, to Southport and buy two of these. 178° viewing angles for AU$220 should fit the bill nicely. ;)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
FYI, we've decided to hold off buying for the moment, as all vendors are currently refreshing their TV ranges here in Oz.

However have noticed some interesting trends:
1. Sony no longer make anything less than a 32" TV. (And it would also appear all Sony's in Australia are LED backlit as well now).
2. Panasonic, only have a single 24" model, and the rest are 32"+. (Some rumours indicate it's an IPS panel in the 24").
3. Sanyo is doing the same as Panasonic. (Single 24" model, and the rest are 32"+).
4. Sharp no longer make anything less than a 32" TV.
5. Samsung, are similar to the above. (Only Series 4 TVs come in below 32" sizes).
6. Toshiba only have a single 26" model, and the rest are 32"+ in size.
7. Philips Australia no longer market TV for consumers (only commercial installations, like multi-panel signage).

Leaving "home-brand" brands to service the sub 32" TV market, like Vue, Vivo, Soniq, AWA, etc.

However Soniq are now using IPS based panels in their 23"/26" models, and others are likely to follow shortly.