Test

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
This is crazy.

I've tried both IE 6.0.2 and Firefox 1.0.

It turns out it's not just when I go to create a new discussion, it's any time I try to post. If the size of the text is greater than N (where N is an unknown value), the connection to SF just times out.

In Firefox I see in the status bar at the bottom:
Waiting for www.storageforum.net...

In Internet Explorer I see in the status bar:
Opening page http://www.storageforum.net/forum/posting.php...

And then Firefox eventually poops out on me with the "Document contains no data" dialog box. And IE eventually fails to its "Cannot find server or DNS Error" error page.

This can happen whether I Preview or Submit, and only if the contents of my post are greater than a certain size. (Let's see if this post is too large to go through...)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ok, well that worked.

For the record, I'm not talking about a massive post or anything. Just a few than paragraphs of text.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I tried pasting in a few paragraphs from a book, and it didn't work.

Then I tried pasting in 100 lines - each line blank except for the line number - and that did work when I went to Preview. So it definitely seems to be related to the total number of characters I'm trying to post.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I call our world Flatland, not because we call it so, but to make its nature clearer to you, my happy readers, who are privileged to live in Space.

Imagine a vast sheet of paper on which straight Lines, Triangles, Squares, Pentagons, Hexagons, and other figures, instead of remaining fixed in their places, move freely about, on or in the surface, but without the power of rising above or sinking below it, very much like shadows--only hard with luminous edges--and you will then have a pretty correct notion of my country and countrymen. Alas, a few years ago, I should have said "my universe:" but now my mind has been opened to higher views of things.

In such a country, you will perceive at once that it is impossible that there should be anything of what you call a "solid" kind; but I dare say you will suppose that we could at least distinguish by sight the Triangles, Squares, and other figures, moving about as I have described them. On the contrary, we could see nothing of the kind, not at least so as to distinguish one figure from another. Nothing was visible, nor could be visible, to us, except Straight Lines

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I call our world Flatland, not because we call it so, but to make its nature clearer to you, my happy readers, who are privileged to live in Space.

Imagine a vast sheet of paper on which straight Lines, Triangles, Squares, Pentagons, Hexagons, and other figures, instead of remaining fixed in their places, move freely about, on or in the surface, but without the power of rising above or sinking below it, very much like shadows--only hard with luminous edges--and you will then have a pretty correct notion of my country and countrymen. Alas, a few years ago, I should have said "my universe:" but now my mind has been opened to higher views of things.

In such a country, you will perceive at once that it is impossible that there should be anything of what you call a "solid" kind; but I dare say you will suppose that we could at least distinguish by sight the Triangles, Squares, and other figures, moving about as I have described them. On the contrary, we could see nothing of the kind, not at least so as to distinguish one figure from another. Nothing was visible, nor could be visible, to us, except Straight Lines

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Well, there's the problem in an illustrated form.

The above two posts represent the maximum number of characters I can post to StorageForum. If you assume 2 characters for each line break (a standard Windows/DOS "Carriage Return" & "Line Feed" pair), that means I'm currently being limited to a maximum of 1130 characters per post.

Any more than that, and the connection to StorageForum poops out on me when I try to Preview or Submit the comment or initial topic info.

That last line above should read:

"Nothing was visible, nor could be visible, to us, except Straight Lines; and the necessity of this I will speedily demonstrate."

Even adding the semi-colon (;) takes me over the 1130 character limit, and the post fails.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Although it seems crazy, might want to disable any proxies/firewalls/filters you have installed.

if that doesnt fix it, I would reinstall the NIC, and run the following commands from command line (this assumes winXP SP2):

netsh int ip reset reset.log
netsh firewall reset
netsh winsock reset catalog

Then setup your connection with your ISP again

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I've tried everything I have some degree of control over. My ISP's service has been going steadily downhill over the past 6 months, and it's looking like this is just the next item on a list of recent problems. I think this may be a good time to look at SpeakEasy's DSL service again. Sorry for the trouble Handy ... it really does look like something's been screwed up at my end. It's such a strange set of symptoms.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak

In such a country, you will perceive at once that it is impossible that there should be anything of what you call a "solid" kind; but I dare say you will suppose that we could at least distinguish by sight the Triangles, Squares, and other figures, moving about as I have described them. On the contrary, we could see nothing of the kind, not at least so as to distinguish one figure from another. Nothing was visible, nor could be visible, to us, except Straight Lines; and the necessity of this I will speedily demonstrate.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Handruin said:
No troubles, sorry you're having issues. Do you think it might have anything to do with MTU settings?

Handruin ... you're a genuis! Thank you!

My ISP is run by a group of nutjobs. An MTU of 1500 has worked just fine for more than 2 years. And then suddenly, they start toying around with things. Now I need an MTU of 1464. This is so typical for them - stuff gets changed with absolutely no warning.

Anyway, thanks. :D