Upgrading Samsung S5 SM-G900V to newer version of Android

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
A few years ago I got my friend's old S5. I've been using it as a gadget, not a phone (i.e. no cell phone service). I can access the Internet via WiFi so it's fairly useful even without a phone contract. Anyway, one thing it's been great for is depositing checks from home. Unfortunately, first the Chase app, and now Capital One, need newer versions than Android 6.

I'll save my rant about planned obsolescence for another time, but I only see two possible solutions:

1) Install a newer version of Android on the phone.
2) Trick the phone into telling the Chase and Capitol One apps that a newer version of Android than 6 is installed.

I know #1 is possible but so far all the ways to do it sound like a major project with the danger of bricking the phone. Anyone know of easier procedures similar to the way the phone upgraded the OS before?

No idea if #2 is possible but that's obviously the much better way.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You may find that any custom ROM you install will not work for certain apps because the boot signature won't have a recognized digital certificate from Samsung. This mainly impacts finance-related apps and streaming video services, so for example you might only be able to watch Netflix in 480p quality on a rooted device.

That being said, the Galaxy S series phones are widely supported by modders long after official support ends. Samsung is friendly to the idea of unlocking the bootloader so you can switch up your firmware, and your phone can be brought up to Android 12 if you'd like. It's mostly a matter of finding and following a recipe.

Here is a lengthy set of links to LineageOS 19 (Android Open Source Project for Android 12) + Google Apps Framework ROM images, which I think is a decent place to get started.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm reading mixed results on whether banking apps will work. Since that would be my primary reason for upgrading then it might not even be worth my while.

Also, if you install a custom ROM do you lose all your current apps and data? That would be a showstopper for me.

Mercutio

You can root your current device and run a proper, rooted backup if you want, but yes, when you install an image, it'll overwrite what's there.
I have a Samsung S4 that I'll periodically dig out and upgrade, more out of curiosity than anything else.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm reading mixed results on whether banking apps will work. Since that would be my primary reason for upgrading then it might not even be worth my while.

Also, if you install a custom ROM do you lose all your current apps and data? That would be a showstopper for me.
Is it a good idea to use a banking app on an obsolete phone with questionable security? Are you finally traveling around and not using a PC from home?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Is it a good idea to use a banking app on an obsolete phone with questionable security? Are you finally traveling around and not using a PC from home?
No, I'm still in lock down. So long as my mother is alive traveling around isn't going to be possible. The issue here is that I can't deposit checks with the PC, only with the mobile app on a phone. I don't know why the bank doesn't let you use scanned images of the check so you don't need a phone to deposit it.

To be sure this isn't a huge problem. Today my brother came by, so we did the deposits on his phone. We only get a few recurring checks each year. I'll try to have them direct deposited from now on.

You can root your current device and run a proper, rooted backup if you want, but yes, when you install an image, it'll overwrite what's there.
I have a Samsung S4 that I'll periodically dig out and upgrade, more out of curiosity than anything else.
It sounds like this is more trouble than it's worth given that the sole reason behind it would be to use the bank apps to deposit checks. For my other uses the phone works just fine with Android 6. If I ever get bored, and don't care about keeping my apps, I can try an upgrade, but for now I'll leave it be. But thanks anyway for the help.

I was just hoping there was a quick and dirty way to do this. I guess not.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I would buy a cheap tablet for home use. It is pretty awful that so many websites don't work except on a phone and in many cases an app is demanded rather than a browser. There is a Win 10/11 mobiles app for some banks, but permissions may also be problematic.

Last edited:

Mercutio

I was just hoping there was a quick and dirty way to do this. I guess not.

Really the idea of quick and dirty runs counter to keeping the integrity of secure applications intact.

A quick check does show that I can install Chase Mobile on either a relatively current Samsung S6 tablet or a 2021 Lenovo Duet, either of which can be found for around $150. You could also buy any number of abandoned Sprint phones that will now only work as wifi client devices. An LG G8 can be had for $75,

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll keep the tablet or Sprint phone options in mind. For now though I should be OK. The current situation is that my mother gets two checks a year for RMDs, and I get one. In addition to that there might be a very occasional small check from various class action lawsuits which we are sometimes part of. I'm pretty sure I can get the three recurring checks direct deposited. That pretty much solves my problem for now.

The only scenario where it might make sense to go the tablet route is if I ever start getting a lot of checks on a regular basis. The only way that might happen is if I decided to start working again (i.e. self-employment from home) after my mother passes. I honestly don't plan to do that. Whatever the malaise of my current burden caring for my mother, I am enjoying not working.

I do all my other banking on my PC, so no need for a mobile device there.